excellentwork  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:07
English to French
+ ...
Jun 17, 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm rather new to Wordfast so that might be an easy answer for you to give me:

I translated two documents which contents are quite related and sometimes similar.
Before I made the translation, I analyzed each document separately to give a quote to my client.
My client made some minor changes to the documents and, now that the translation is completed, I wanted to re-analyze the revised original documents.
I am very puzzled as the results are completely different as the ones I first had and used for my quote.
I tried to analyze the original documents again, I tried to desegment them, to re-download them in case I'd had made a mistake while de-segmenting, I tried to use a blank TM, then to use again the TM I had used. Nothing changes. The difference stays the same and is very different from the original analysis.
Initially, the analysis gave quite a lot of repetitions, now there are only a few, which seems too few, given my knowledge of the translation..

I now don't know what to do and I should invoice my client...

If you know how I could solve this, please help me as I am having a hard time trying to understand what I did wrong..

Otherwise, just let me know the normal procedure, as I cannot get enough informations from the manual in that matter.

thank you very much in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:07
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
try with the "Compare" function in Plustools Jun 20, 2008

first of all, maybe you would really need to know what the changes were in the two documents. and you can try using PlusTools for that.

as well, you can compare two documents, as files, in your text editor.

then you can even extract the translatable text with the Wf's function: Tools-Extract. you'll obtain two parts of the same file, the repeating and non-repeating part.

also, try "anycount" small piece of software, or "Wordcount" - I don't really remember which one of the two, analyses the text.

regards, dk

sophie bernhard wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm rather new to Wordfast so that might be an easy answer for you to give me:

I translated two documents which contents are quite related and sometimes similar.
Before I made the translation, I analyzed each document separately to give a quote to my client.
My client made some minor changes to the documents and, now that the translation is completed, I wanted to re-analyze the revised original documents.
I am very puzzled as the results are completely different as the ones I first had and used for my quote.
I tried to analyze the original documents again, I tried to desegment them, to re-download them in case I'd had made a mistake while de-segmenting, I tried to use a blank TM, then to use again the TM I had used. Nothing changes. The difference stays the same and is very different from the original analysis.
Initially, the analysis gave quite a lot of repetitions, now there are only a few, which seems too few, given my knowledge of the translation..

I now don't know what to do and I should invoice my client...

If you know how I could solve this, please help me as I am having a hard time trying to understand what I did wrong..

Otherwise, just let me know the normal procedure, as I cannot get enough informations from the manual in that matter.

thank you very much in advance

excellentwork  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:07
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problems analyzing two documents Jun 24, 2008

Thank you for your reply, Dragomir,

I had forgotten to mention that I work on Mac, which makes everything less easy.

When I try to compare the files with +tools, I cannot get any infos because the two documents don't have the same number of paragraphs and are not similar enough for the software to be able to compare them.

My text editor (on Mac, "Text Edit") doesn't allow me to compare documents.

When I compare the files with word, I get a file with not only the changes so that I cannot count them as all the rest of the document's content is also present.

I downloaded word count, installed it and tried to compare the two documents, but I couldn't get anything more than a word count

I tried to analyze the documents with Wordfast again, and I noticed that when I analyze the files, there are 0 reported 100% matches,whereas I know that there are some.

Thank you for your help, anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

differences when analyzing documents

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs