Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 09:47
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 10, 2008

Hello everyone,

I've got the following question: a few years ago when I used Wordfast I remember that there was this function (don't remember its name) in which Wordfast suggested similar expressions - something like Concordance in Trados. It was in a form of a text which appeared in the window with heading hmm...FOR YOU INFORMATION? or something like that. It was of a great use - since if it couldn't find a proper match or fuzzy one, it prompted similar contexts. Is this function s
... See more
Hello everyone,

I've got the following question: a few years ago when I used Wordfast I remember that there was this function (don't remember its name) in which Wordfast suggested similar expressions - something like Concordance in Trados. It was in a form of a text which appeared in the window with heading hmm...FOR YOU INFORMATION? or something like that. It was of a great use - since if it couldn't find a proper match or fuzzy one, it prompted similar contexts. Is this function still accessible in Wf?
Thanks for help.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Yes, still there Jul 10, 2008

You can cntrl+alt+C or click on the X-icon (crossed arrows) or select it from the Wordfast-menu.
Regards
Heinrich

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Jul 10, 2008

Thank you for your reply. I know this function, but what I meant was rather the text which appeared in the window of the translated text (in smaller font if I'm not wrong) just above the translation boxes. It appeared by itself similarly as Concordance in Trados where if the Concordance window is on, it searches the possible contexts without me prompting it to do so....

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found it! Jul 10, 2008

It's called "For Reference Only". Now the question: is it possible to somehow modify the level of sensitivity of this function? I would like it to prompt me more often.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do you mean memorymode? Jul 10, 2008

This shows former translation above the source segment so you can check what was changed in the source. Click on the icon with double sheet, fifth icon from right.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I meant... Jul 10, 2008

..was something like this. I'm not sure if it's possible to define how sensitive it should be.

www.fce.republika.pl/capture1.jpg

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Could you elaborate? Jul 10, 2008

woyopol wrote:

It's called "For Reference Only".

I'm not sure what function you're referring to, but sounds interesting ...

What version of Wordfast are you using by the way?

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My version is... Jul 10, 2008

In the link below, there is a screenshot of the thing:

www.fce.republika.pl/capture1.jpg

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
Display TM Jul 11, 2008

It looks like what Heinrich suggested, the "Display TM" mode. But not exactly the same as I'm used to seeing.

Using the "Display TM", on my version 5.52zd version, it says "from the TM created on XXX by XXX" and not "For reference only".

I don't use "Display TM" very often in fact, I find that it's too many boxes cluttering my screen. I usually use it after translation, when I'm doing a final proofread and I get red boxes (because I changed some segment along the wa
... See more
It looks like what Heinrich suggested, the "Display TM" mode. But not exactly the same as I'm used to seeing.

Using the "Display TM", on my version 5.52zd version, it says "from the TM created on XXX by XXX" and not "For reference only".

I don't use "Display TM" very often in fact, I find that it's too many boxes cluttering my screen. I usually use it after translation, when I'm doing a final proofread and I get red boxes (because I changed some segment along the way) or when I get a fuzzy match, I turn the feature on to check what the TU in the TM looks like.

I also get yellow highlighting on the differences, not blue ...

This feature doesn't come on by itself, I have to click it on and off when I need it.

What I find interesting is that you are able to use this feature when you have no match, and no fuzzy match, I can definitely see why that's a good feature to have. I'm working on a project right now where I have some repetition in similar parts of segments, but other parts of the segments are so different that I'm not getting any fuzzies at all. I will try using "Display TM" more often and see if it's useful for this project.

No idea how to change the sensitivity ...
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's exactly like concordance in Trados Jul 11, 2008

...however it does not provide suggestions that often. In Trados it's possible to set the level of sensitivity of Concordance. Basically I use 75-78% for TM and about 60% for Concordance.

In Wordfast I know where to change the fuzzy threshold, but as far as this function is concerned - no idea...

Yes, it appears by itself - I don't have to do anything. If it only appeared more often - it would be great.

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
Expression search Jul 31, 2008

Ah ha! Just happened across this post from Dominique (thanks!) and the function you described is called "expression search". See below link for an explanation.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/message/64524

It's on the "other" tab, and you can choose the number of words per expression.

Excerpt from the manual on this function:... See more
Ah ha! Just happened across this post from Dominique (thanks!) and the function you described is called "expression search". See below link for an explanation.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/message/64524

It's on the "other" tab, and you can choose the number of words per expression.

Excerpt from the manual on this function:

"TM engine performance: The Wordfast TM engine is built to spot exact and/or fuzzy matches in less than half a second in most cases.
In case no fuzzy or exact match exists, Wordfast can retrieve expressions or text that has a relevance to the source segment being translated.

Search TM for expressions
During a translation session, if Wordfast does not find an exact or fuzzy match in the TM, it can perform a search for expressions in the current TM.

If the expression search yields a result, Wordfast will display the TU that produced the result, and highlight the source exprescsion in light blue as if it were a recognised term. You will know that it's a not a recognised glossary entry because: 1. it's usually a rather long expression; 2. when using Ctrl+Alt+left/right to select this item, no translation will appear in the status bar; 3. normally, you've translated it not long ago.
The purpose of this expression search is to avoid re-typing long expressions that are repetitive in a project. You can copy-paste the expression's translation into the target segment.

If you check the "Search contexts in all sibling translation memories" option in Wordfast/Terminology, the context search will be extended to other TMs present in the same folder as the currently active TM."

So, this really is something different than context search. Cool
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
thanks Lori! Aug 1, 2008

To copy the expression, use alt+F12 on the highlighted text you want to copy and it will automatically be inserted at the end of an open segment (no need to ctl+c, then ctl+v). This shortcut works in all word documents that are open (context windows) so long as there is a segment open. It doesn't work with other programs however.

You probably know this already, just for the benefit of other readers!

John

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
snif :-( Aug 1, 2008

Alt+F12 doesn't work here (Vista / Word 2007) the shortcut brings up my webcam instead - grr!

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
reassign under word options Aug 1, 2008

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Alt+F12 doesn't work here (Vista / Word 2007) the shortcut brings up my webcam instead - grr!

You can customize your keyboard under Word options...

Try assigning it to alt+shift+F6 and let me know once you've managed to do it using only one hand.

You're trying it right now, aren't you? Good luck!

John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Context function - concordance - can't find it anymore

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »