https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/11012-sleeping_translation_memory_wordfast.html

Sleeping translation memory? - WordFast
Thread poster: Anna Ryden (X)
Anna Ryden (X)
Anna Ryden (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:27
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 14, 2003

Hello everyone,

I hope you can help:

I just wonder why my translation memory has stopped working. Maybe it\'s a setting somewhere? There are so many repetitions in this text but WordFast is completely ignoring them.

bye

Anna Ryden

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Reorganize May 14, 2003

Hello,

have you tried to reorganize your TM?

I usually do so when I discover my TM doesn\'t suggest any matches.

Go to the setup window, and click \"reorganize\" under \"Service\".

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sonja

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:27
German to English
+ ...
How timely May 14, 2003

Anna,

I had this problem just yesterday. I had downloaded the newest build and was working on a job with a few internal repetitions - I could see the green or yellow field, but it was marked as a \"0\" match and no text was visible in the box.

Reorganizing the TM didn\'t work, but I did find a (tedious) workaround - closing the segment (Alt + End) and reopening it made the match appear.

I wrote to the WordFast user group on YahooGrou
... See more
Anna,

I had this problem just yesterday. I had downloaded the newest build and was working on a job with a few internal repetitions - I could see the green or yellow field, but it was marked as a \"0\" match and no text was visible in the box.

Reorganizing the TM didn\'t work, but I did find a (tedious) workaround - closing the segment (Alt + End) and reopening it made the match appear.

I wrote to the WordFast user group on YahooGroups with this question. Do you belong to it? I\'ll go check now to see if an answer has been found. I am a \"newbie\" so it could be something really simplistic!

Collapse

Anna Ryden (X)
Anna Ryden (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution was: clean up pre-translated text May 16, 2003

Thanks for your answers!

In the end I understood what the problem was: The agency had pre-translated all the segments, but in the same language, so that the target space contained the same text as the source space (English and English). Very annoying, also because their segmentation doesn\'t correspond to mine. I made a fake clean up, and started all over again with the old target text as source text. And finally the TM worked again!

regards

An
... See more
Thanks for your answers!

In the end I understood what the problem was: The agency had pre-translated all the segments, but in the same language, so that the target space contained the same text as the source space (English and English). Very annoying, also because their segmentation doesn\'t correspond to mine. I made a fake clean up, and started all over again with the old target text as source text. And finally the TM worked again!

regards

Anna
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:27
German to English
+ ...
I think my problem was pre-translation, too May 16, 2003

I pre-translated the source text using 3 of my TMs for a particular customer, and this is what seemed to cause the problem I had, too. Yesterday, I had another text in the same project to do, so I merged the TMs instead and did not pre-translate - it worked fine.

If you find any more info on how to make pre-translation work properly, I\'d be interested. I was told by the user group that \"WriteBetterMatch\" needs to be set in Pandora\'s Box, but that didn\'t help me, either.
... See more
I pre-translated the source text using 3 of my TMs for a particular customer, and this is what seemed to cause the problem I had, too. Yesterday, I had another text in the same project to do, so I merged the TMs instead and did not pre-translate - it worked fine.

If you find any more info on how to make pre-translation work properly, I\'d be interested. I was told by the user group that \"WriteBetterMatch\" needs to be set in Pandora\'s Box, but that didn\'t help me, either.

PS If the agency\'s segmentation was different than yours, maybe they used Trados?
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:27
English to French
Arrrrgh! Sleeping beauty is back! May 21, 2003

2003-05-16 07:27 Anna Ryden wrote:

Thanks for your answers!

regards

Anna

Just kidding. There are several standard ways for working with Trados presegmented/pretranslated files.

By default, Wordfast accept the content of the target segment - thus no matches. But you can ask wordfast to write the TM content in case of a better match.

Activate \"writebettermatch\" (or discreetebettermatch) in the pandora box, and you will find that you can now work with the presegmented file with full use of the TM, just like normal, to the difference that when an entry is NOT in the TM, you will have the source text already inside the target segment.

There are small segmentation differences between wordfast and trados, and if a customer sends you a presegmented doc, use it. Don\'t restaure it to source only.

Often, the customer did not only \"presegment\", but actually \"pretranslated\" the document using his TM, in which case, if you restaure to source only, you loose all the segment that were already translated.

For data on the pandora box and Wordfast in General, please have a look at the Wordfast section of www.your-translations.com.

(Note that Your-translations.com is not really ready for release and not spell checked, but you will find a lot of stuff that can help you get up to speed with wordfast. )

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sleeping translation memory? - WordFast

Translation news related to Wordfast

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »