Olga Simon
Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 14:15
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 18, 2008

Hi everyone,

Let me give you a little prehistory. I have submitted a large project to a translation agency and now have to invoice them. The word count according to the agency was 16,048 words, however when I ran the files through PractiCount I got 21,001 words. The difference is tremendous - almost 5,000 words, so I asked the agency to send me their calculations. They did send it to me - DejaVu = 16,048 and Trados = 16,788. Already quite a difference for the same bunch of files.
... See more
Hi everyone,

Let me give you a little prehistory. I have submitted a large project to a translation agency and now have to invoice them. The word count according to the agency was 16,048 words, however when I ran the files through PractiCount I got 21,001 words. The difference is tremendous - almost 5,000 words, so I asked the agency to send me their calculations. They did send it to me - DejaVu = 16,048 and Trados = 16,788. Already quite a difference for the same bunch of files. I spent my time and ran the manual word count which turned out to be the same as PractiCount = 21,001. I sent all my calcualtions to the agency and after some discussions we agreed that since I was asked to use WordFast I should use the WordFast count to establish the number of words for the whole project.

Here comes the funny part. The WordFast gives me such garbage in terms of the word count that I am at a loss... For example in an Excel file with 26 sheets PractiCount counted 6,500 words, Trados counted 4,479 and WordFast ruturned a result of ... 75 words....... The same applies to all the files...
What to do?
(There are two Word files and seven huge Excel files in the project...)
Collapse

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Hi Olga Jul 18, 2008

I am no way a technical type, but I would certainly turn to some of my colleagues to run the word count in their word-counting softwares. Perhaps you only have some bug there in your version. If it helps, send me the files (I'll be online) for few more hours and I could run them through AnyCount any my Wordfast...

All the best,
Veronika

Olga Simon
Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure, let's try it..... Jul 18, 2008

Hi Veronika,

Thanks a lot for your offer - I certainly appreciate it! I will send you the files in a few minutes and let's see what your version of WordFast tells you...........

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:15
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I woudn't trust Wf with Excel files Jul 18, 2008

The wf wordcount is ok with word-files.
You could save the excel files as unicode txt and load them into Word and run Wordfast on them. This takes only a minute.
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with word count in WordFast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »