Thread poster: Jana Zajicova
Jana Zajicova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Jul 18, 2008

Hello,

I created a new TM for a new project. Then I pressed Alt Down as usual and wanted to start working. The segmentation, however, is totally weird. The delimiters are not small and purple as usual but they look like the rest of the text. Moreover, no boxes appear for the source and the target text and the cursor appears next to {0>. When I move the cursor to the proper place, write my translation and press Alt Down to move on, another weird segment is created while the first one remains there instead of shrinking to the usual compact form, and the cursor remains within the first segment.

WordFast acted weird yesterday, too (when I was translating another document). The delimiters were OK but the boxes for source and target text were white.

However, when I copied some random text from the Internet into Word and tried to segment it, WordFast worked normally. I assume that the text I am supposed to translate has some weird formatting.

Any ideas how to deal with it?

P.S. I will use my usual method for getting rid of messy formatting - copy the text into a Skype window and then copy it into a Word document. But I will use a lot of useful formatting along the way so I'd appreciate it if there were a more elegant way.

[Edited at 2008-07-18 13:26]

Direct link Reply with quote

ilija5150
Macedonia (FYROM)
Local time: 16:52
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Had the same problem Jul 22, 2008

Hi Jana, I had exactly the same problem that you describe with only one but quite large document. The only solution was to copy parts of the text into a new document (say about 5 pages) and the problem was solved. I don't know why it happened or how the copy/paste (by opting for keeping original formatting) solved the problem.

I would suggest you to try the same before using your Skype method.

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. :) Jul 22, 2008

However, when I copied chunks of that text into another document, the problem repeated itself. The Skype method eliminated all formatting completely.

I experienced the situation with correct delimiters and white boxes again today. The text was clearly converted from a PDF file. When I formatted it properly (i.e. eliminated all enters), WordFast worked normally.

Weird.

SwedishTra
United States
Local time: 07:52
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Have the same problem...what is the "skype Method"? Aug 15, 2008

Hi,

I have the same problem with the delimiters...changing places, target and source boxes movig place, no boxes... it's a mess!
Is there anyone who can guide me through this? I would really appreciate any help. I heard you can copy and paste delimiters, but it doesn't work...at least for me...: )

What is the Skype Method?

I might do something wrong, since I recently purchased the program... and I haven't found any good manual for trouble shooting... Do anyone know if there's any manual out there that is GOOD?

Is this program really stable? I find it might have bugs and it's too expensive for all this hassle...

Irene

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Skype Aug 15, 2008

Hello,

I believe that your text is simply poorly formatted.

The Skype method: Before you start translating, select the whole text and hit Ctrl C. Open a Skype window (as if you wanted to chat with someone) and paste the text into it. No need to send it, just paste it where you normally write messages. Then copy it back into Word (preferably into a clean document, not the original one). It will have lost all annoying formatting but unfortunately also all good formattiing.

[Edited at 2008-08-15 01:45]

Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:52
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Text codes Dec 19, 2008

Hi all,

I am translating a long text, full of these codes:

And these are preventing the TM of giving me matches.

Can I have a way of wordfast ignoring the codes and just repeating them?

Thanks

Ligia

Jean-Louis S.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:52
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Comments inserted in word? Jan 10, 2009

I had the same problem few weeks ago.
Check that there are no comments inserted in the text in Word. If so, make them visible (balloons) and close them all, do not just make them invisible. Same thing happens with Endnote markers for bibliography.

Carla Saboia
Local time: 11:52
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How to translate the comments inserted in Word? Sep 21, 2011

Hi Jean-Louis,

I'm having trouble translating documents with comments (balloons), Word freezes. Do you mean that we have to exclude the comments form the document, one by one? I need to translate the comments too - should I transfer them to a separate file as regular text and, after translating them, re-paste them as comments in the translated document?

Thanks so much!

Carla

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why bother with Skype Sep 23, 2011

Word has an option to copy text without any formatting and you can even assign a short cut key to it if you want to, so why bother using Skype?

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast and Track Changes don't work well together Sep 23, 2011

Carla Saboia wrote:

Hi Jean-Louis,

I'm having trouble translating documents with comments (balloons), Word freezes. Do you mean that we have to exclude the comments form the document, one by one? I need to translate the comments too - should I transfer them to a separate file as regular text and, after translating them, re-paste them as comments in the translated document?

Thanks so much!

Carla

As far as I know Wordfast cannot be used to translate comments in a Word document, if you need to have them in your TM you will have to copy them somewhere else.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weird tags, no boxes

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs