https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/110660-wordfast_scrambling_powerpoint_2007_files.html

Wordfast scrambling Powerpoint 2007 files
Thread poster: judith ryan
judith ryan
judith ryan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:35
Member (2005)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2008

I have been using Wordfast to translate Powerpoint files for a few years with no problems. I just got a new computer with Windows Vista and Office 2007 - suddently most of my PP files get scrambled, lines are ommitted, content is switched around - a mess! The first two times it happened it was so suttle that I did not pick up on the problem and almost lost a client. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone have a solution?

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:35
French to English
+ ...
Werecat? Jul 20, 2008

Hi Judith,

I use XP, not Vista, so I haven't experienced this, but I wonder if you use Werecat or just Powerpoint and Wordfast directly. I find that Werecat finds things that Wordfast alone doesn't (textboxes, etc.), so is more reliable anyway.

See:
http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat

In saying that, I did have problems with the big Powerpoint file I was work
... See more
Hi Judith,

I use XP, not Vista, so I haven't experienced this, but I wonder if you use Werecat or just Powerpoint and Wordfast directly. I find that Werecat finds things that Wordfast alone doesn't (textboxes, etc.), so is more reliable anyway.

See:
http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat

In saying that, I did have problems with the big Powerpoint file I was working on last week, because Werecat wouldn't let me reinsert the text back into the Powerpoint presentation after I'd translated it with Wordfast. It was fine up to a certain point, then stopped and said the paragraph numbers weren't the same and it would therefore stop - aaargh! It wasn't too much of a problem as the text was in chunks in text boxes and I was able to copy it in from the Word file, but I still don't know what I'd done to cause the problem. I hadn't knowingly changed the paragraphs, but Wordfast had stopped at various points during the text after I'd pressed Alt Down and given me a strange message. Once I pressed Alt Delete, it was fine again, but I wonder if it was something to do with the set-up of the original file - I suspect it had been converted from another presentation package.

Claire

[Edited at 2008-07-20 23:54]

[Edited at 2008-07-20 23:59]
Collapse

judith ryan
judith ryan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:35
Member (2005)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast and Powerpoint Jul 21, 2008

Thanks Claire, I am not using Werecat, maybe I should try it. I contacted Wordfast and they told me none of the CAT softwares are working with Office 2007. I found something called MemoQ or something like that on Google, they claim to be Vista compatible but I am still waiting for a reply, I'll let you know.

Judith

ilija5150
ilija5150
North Macedonia
Local time: 16:35
Macedonian to English
+ ...
IMO Vista not quite the problem Jul 21, 2008

The problem is not really Vista but Office 2007. You'll find that Wordfast will have issues with Office 2007 on XP as well.

I also agree with Claire, try Werecat. It is free and very efficient. It even works with text boxes in a Word document. Current Wordfast versions, although support text box translations require you to manually identify and activate the text boxes.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:35
Italian to English
+ ...
Werecat Jul 21, 2008

I don't know what it's like with Office 2007 but it works perfectly with Powerpoint and Office 2003. I'd definitely give it a try before doing anything else - after all, it's free!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast scrambling Powerpoint 2007 files

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »