ProZ.com global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
Ideas

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
User
Thread poster: La Classe
How to translate a Power point, Excel and HTML documents with Wordfast?

La Classe  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
French to English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2008

Hello!

I want to know how to translate the Powerpoint, HTML, Excel documents. I know that in Trados, we use TagEditor but I am unable to understand the prodecure in Wordfast. I am sure there is some trick by which we can translate Powerpoint, HTML, Excel documents on Wordfast. Please guide me.

Thanks in advance.

Manohar ROSHAN

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvie Eschkotte
Germany
Local time: 12:15
Member (2006)
German to French
Manuel Wordfast Jul 24, 2008

bonjour, La Classe.
Je suis désolée mais je ne sais pas suffisamment l'anglais pour répondre. Comme je vois que tu parles français, je me permets de te répondre dans cette langue.
Tu peux très bien travailler Powerpoint, HTML et Excel avec Wordfast, en plus c'est très simple et ça fonctionne très bien.
Sur le site www.wordfast.net, tu trouveras le manuel à télécharger, en français et en anglais. Pour le français les explications se trouvent à la page 18.

J'espère que j'ai pu t'aider.

Sylvie

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:15
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Treatment of tags and a special interface in MS Word Jul 25, 2008

1. Power Point document: Open a blank Word document. Open Power Point. Use start command of Wordfast in Word. You do translation! [No need of clean up process]
2. Excel document: Open a blank Word document. Open Excel. Use start command of Wordfast in Word. You do translation! [No need of clean up process].
3. You use special methods for translation of texts in graphic in Excel or Power Point e.g. table in Power Point shown in praphic format.
4. HTML document: document: Open HTML file in text editor e.g. Notepad. Copy into a blank Word document. Word + Wordfast will tag the document. Use start command of Wordfast in Word. You do translation!. You do clean up with Wordfast. You copy & paste again in original document.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

La Classe  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jul 25, 2008

Hello Soonthon,

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge.

Manohar ROSHAN

Damian Harrison
Germany
German to English
Re: Excel Jul 25, 2008

If you are translating an excel doc it *can* be very helpful to change one of the settings in Pandora's Box. The change will enable you to translate a column from top to bottom, rather than working your way along a row from left to right. This is very helpful if you have to translate just one column in an entire spreadsheet for instance.

- Call up the Wordfast set-up interface (TMs, Terminology, Tools etc)
- Click on Set Up
- Click on PB
- Scroll down until you find Excel_ByColumns
- Change it to ExcelBy Columns
-Enable PB
-Close the box

I hope that helps you.

Lucia Me  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
PowerPoint and Wordfast Jul 25, 2008

I've used Werecat (http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html) to translate a powerpoint file with Wordfast.
It really works, even for big files.
Instructions are quite simple.

As to Excel files, I usually copy the excel column into a word blank document; I translate it as it were a doc document; then, after clean up, I copy the cleaned text into the excel file.
This works too.

As to HTML, I have no experience.

Good luck
Lucia

ilija5150
Macedonia (FYROM)
Macedonian to English
+ ...
About Werecat Aug 5, 2008

In addition to the above use of Werecat for PPT files, you can also use Werecat to download all text boxes from Word files into one place and translate them normally. Although text boxes can be translated with the aid of Wordfast now, you still have to manually locate and enter them one by one in order to activate Wordfast.

Cheers

[Edited at 2008-08-05 07:43]

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Further help is needed! Jan 15, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

1. Power Point document: Open a blank Word document. Open Power Point. Use start command of Wordfast in Word. You do translation! [No need of clean up process]

Soonthon L.

Some time later... in 2010!
Thanks for your advice: it works , BUT when type the translated sentences, the cursor is on the LEFT of the words, as if I was writing in Arabic... therefore I cannot correct a mistyped word, as it settles before the last word typed instead of after as normal in French!

Please advise if you can!

Thanks,
Claudette Hepburn

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Another way to translate Excel columns Jan 16, 2010

Damian Harrison, M.A. wrote:

... if you have to translate just one column in an entire spreadsheet for instance...

You can also hide the columns you don't want to translate in Excel. Wordfast only translates non-hidden cells. This approach is more flexible because you can hide rows as well.

Terry.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Wordfast Pro Jan 24, 2010

La Classe wrote:

I want to know how to translate the Powerpoint, HTML, Excel documents.

Dear Manohar,

As colleagues described, Wordfast Classic is one option.

Wordfast Pro is another option. Just create a new project ("File" menu) and a new translation memory. Then "Open" the source file you want to translate ("File" menu); you can open even Excel, PowerPoint and HTML files directly. Insert the translation in the target cell and move to the next segment using Alt+Down. After finalizing the translation, press Alt+End, "Save", and select "Save Translated file" from "File" menu to have the target translated file in the same original format. That is it!

You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

If you have any questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Cristina Di Bartolo  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
I can't even open HTML documents with my Wordfast PRO! Jan 28, 2010

I've tried to follow the instructions from the colleagues and from Wordfast support, but I can't open and work with HTML documents either with Wordfast Classic or Pro. As a word document, I can't make Wordfast Classic tag the file, and when trying to open HTMLs in Pro I got the message "unsupported format". Why?

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply

Cristina

Egypt
English to Arabic
Upgrade Jan 29, 2010

Dear Cristina,

Cristina Di Bartolo wrote:

when trying to open HTMLs in Pro I got the message "unsupported format". Why?

First of all, please make sure you download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

You can open HTML files directly without any problem.

As for HTM files, you need to change the extension from HTM into HTML. That is how you can open HTM files in Wordfast Pro.

-----------------------------------

If you want to add the HTM extension to WFP to be able to open it directly without changing the extension, you can follow these steps:

- WFP > Edit (menu) > Preferences > Formats > New > Text Based Filter
- In "Extension" textbox type, *.htm
- In "Conversion Rules" browse (using "..." button) to locate a property file called: HTML.properties. Its location should be similar to that:

C:\Program Files\Wordfast\rules\HTML.properties

- Click OK to save.
- Later, you can rename the filter (optional).

Now, you should find the extension *.htm among the supported formats while you try to open a file.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Dennis Seine  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:15
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
PDF the same as PowerPoint in WordFast? Aug 11, 2010

Dear Yasmim,

Thank you for your explanation; it has been very helpful. I use both WordFast Classic and WordFast Pro, and have a question about translating PDFs in Pro. Is the process the same for translating PDFs as it is for PowerPoints?

1. Create project
2. Open file
3. Translate
4. Save Translated File

I have been trying to figure out how to work with PDFs, and have been able to import them, but have not been able to get them back into their original file format. Obviously, the client is not interested in me sending them an updated TM or a TXML; they just want the final format.

I hope you're able to help, thank you so much in advance!

Dennis

Egypt
English to Arabic
You are right + one further step Aug 11, 2010

Dennis Seine wrote:

1. Create project
2. Open file
3. Translate
4. Save Translated File

Dear Dennis,

Those steps are the same. But when you open a PDF file, it is automatically converted into a DOC file in the same folder. So when you select "Save Translated File", you will get the translated DOC file. There are several FREE tools that can convert back (or Print) the translated PDF file into PDF.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further help.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
PDFs won't open in WFP ("there was a prob converting PDF to Word") Aug 15, 2010

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dennis Seine wrote:

1. Create project
2. Open file
3. Translate
4. Save Translated File

Dear Dennis,

Those steps are the same. But when you open a PDF file, it is automatically converted into a DOC file in the same folder.

Dear Yasmin,

It seems I cannot open any pdf with WFP (2.0.4.1, Windows).

When I try to load the file (File > Open File ) in a project, WFP recognizes the format, a message like "it may take a few minutes to open larger PDF files" pops up, then WFP opens a window "PDF structure editor", "progress information" bar appears and... I always end with a message "There was a problem while converting PDF document to Word file".

All the pdfs I tried to open with WFP could finally easily be converted to a .doc or .rtf file with an OCR software, even though the formatting was not always well preserved. They are not particularly large (< 120 Ko for the biggest!).

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,

Aude

[Edited at 2010-08-15 22:48 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate a Power point, Excel and HTML documents with Wordfast?

Translation news related to Wordfast

Fluency Translation Suite
Come see the Fluency Difference and SAVE

The most affordable and easy to learn translation tool! Start and finish your translations faster than ever with Fluency Translation Suite 2013. TMs, Terminology, and Online Resources are fully integrated and only a click away. Download a free trial today

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »