Thread poster: Miguel Angel Orjuela Pineda
Miguel Angel Orjuela Pineda
Miguel Angel Orjuela Pineda
Local time: 20:55
Chinese to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 3, 2008

Hi everyone.
I just installed wordfast version 5.53q and I see it's a really good tool for translators. However I have a problem. On the one hand, If I want to translate from Spanish or English to Chinese the results are very good (It translates the text from Spanish to Chinese very accurately), on the other, if I want to translate from Chinese to English, Spanish or Japanese the only thing I get is many "???????????????????????????????" symbols. What should I do? Is not possible to use th
... See more
Hi everyone.
I just installed wordfast version 5.53q and I see it's a really good tool for translators. However I have a problem. On the one hand, If I want to translate from Spanish or English to Chinese the results are very good (It translates the text from Spanish to Chinese very accurately), on the other, if I want to translate from Chinese to English, Spanish or Japanese the only thing I get is many "???????????????????????????????" symbols. What should I do? Is not possible to use the ZH-CN to ES-ES / ZH-CN to EN-US TM's in Wordfast? I tried to create my own glossary, but I still get that problem, I don't know if it's a problem of unicode... If anyone can help me, I'll be very thankful.

Thanks for reading,

Miguel
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Possibly... Aug 3, 2008

If ES/EN -> ZH works fine it means your ZH TM is fine (ie Unicode). When you work ZH -> ES/EN and use the same TM, you first need to reverse Source and Target of the TM (Setup Wordfast -> General -> Reverse All)

A glossary is a separate file from a TM. Make sure your ZH or JP glossary is saved in Unicode.

Miguel Angel Orjuela Pineda wrote:

Hi everyone.
I just installed wordfast version 5.53q and I see it's a really good tool for translators. However I have a problem. On the one hand, If I want to translate from Spanish or English to Chinese the results are very good (It translates the text from Spanish to Chinese very accurately), on the other, if I want to translate from Chinese to English, Spanish or Japanese the only thing I get is many "???????????????????????????????" symbols. What should I do? Is not possible to use the ZH-CN to ES-ES / ZH-CN to EN-US TM's in Wordfast? I tried to create my own glossary, but I still get that problem, I don't know if it's a problem of unicode... If anyone can help me, I'll be very thankful.

Thanks for reading,

Miguel

[Edited at 2008-08-03 06:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems translating from Chinese to English in Wordfast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »