Mobile menu

TM does not update
Thread poster: xxxwonita
xxxwonita
China
Local time: 01:56
Aug 13, 2008

Hello,

I am proofreading my translation with Wordfast now. Inevitably I have to make changes now and then. To my great disappointment, after making the change and validating the segment, the TM does not update automatically. When I encounter a repetition later, my TM still shows the translation of the first version.

Must I alter the TM separately, or there is a trick I don't know yet?

Thanks
Bin

[Edited at 2008-08-13 19:16]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:56
French to English
Do you have a red box? Aug 13, 2008

Did you try "reorganizing" the TM?

When you go back to repetitions after changing the original TU as you described, you should see a "red box" around the segment. Then you can choose the right TU using the ALT + right/left arrows (you will see a prompt in very small writing, at the very bottom of the screen).

If you don't have a red box, then it sounds like it could be a bug ... what version do you have?

[Edited at 2008-08-13 19:12]

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:56
Spanish to English
I don´t know what you mean by validating but... Aug 13, 2008

If I make a change in an earlier section of my translation and want the update to go directly into the translation memory, I select all and copy and paste the translation in a new word document, then clean the new document.

Afterwards I throw away the as it has served its purpose.

Of course you also have to have wordfast programmed to update your Tm.

Hope this is helpful

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 01:56
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 14, 2008

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Did you try "reorganizing" the TM?

When you go back to repetitions after changing the original TU as you described, you should see a "red box" around the segment. Then you can choose the right TU using the ALT + right/left arrows (you will see a prompt in very small writing, at the very bottom of the screen).

If you don't have a red box, then it sounds like it could be a bug ... what version do you have?

[Edited at 2008-08-13 19:12]

It works now.

Bin

[Edited at 2008-08-14 13:35]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:56
French to English
@ Lesley Aug 14, 2008

Lesley Clarke wrote:

If I make a change in an earlier section of my translation and want the update to go directly into the translation memory, I select all and copy and paste the translation in a new word document, then clean the new document.

Afterwards I throw away the as it has served its purpose.

That's sounds complicated - in theory, if you open up the segment again, make your change and then hit Alt+down again (validate), the new TU goes into the TM and can be reused again immediately.

It works for me, 99.8% of the time

Unless you mean you are making changes without opening up segments? In that case, your method makes sense.

I always re-open segments when I edit my work, so that everything goes into the TM and is saved in case of technical problems (crash during clean-up, etc). Once it saved my life when a file became corrupted during editing, and my backup copies were corrupted too! I didn't have to go back and re-edit things, although I did have to re-translate from the TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM does not update

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs