By-column function for Word tables?
Thread poster: Ulrike Glaese

Ulrike Glaese  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:51
Member (2006)
English to German
Aug 21, 2008

I have a file containing many pages of columns. Of these I only need to translate the last two columns. Is there a function in Wordfast where I can tell it to translate only the relevant columns without having to copy them in a separate table?

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
marching red ants Aug 21, 2008

Look at page 16 in the manual about "untranslatable" styles

Member (2006)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting idea, but... Aug 21, 2008

That is an interesting idea, but in my case it seems like very much work, because the tables are not continuous, i.e. a new table starts on every page. I'd have to highlight many, many columns, as the ratio between translatable and not translatable is about 1:3 to 1:5. It is probably easier to do it without Wordfast at all, just within Word using find/replace, to catch all doubles.

I'll definitely keep your tip in mind for other projects, though.

Thank you.

France
French to English
I see what you mean Aug 21, 2008

If it were me, I would probably consider taking the time to highlight and apply the untranslatable style, surely quicker than copying/pasting columns and then pasting back.

But then again, this would lead to those really narrow column segments that I hate, so your idea to do it without wordfast is probably the best!

[Edited at 2008-08-21 21:30]

Member (2006)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Let's make it official... Aug 21, 2008

Maybe we could suggest a function for this purpose - I have had to deal with it many times before (I am always happy, if a customer doesn't put lots of text in Excel tables as they tend to become unstable), but perhaps Wordfast could absorb that function for its new version...

Anyway, thank you very much for sharing your experience with me!

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
use Force Segment Aug 21, 2008

If the individual cells of the table that you have to translate contain only a few words or a single phrase each (with no paragraph marks), a reasonably efficient approach would be to use the Force Segment function (keyboard shortcut: Shift-Alt-Down_Arrow) in the following procedure:

Start Wordfast
1. Ctrl-click the text of the top cell in a column to be translated. (Ctrl-click selects an entire sentence, so it selects the entire cell contents if there is no paragraph mark in the cell.)
2. Press Shift-Alt-Down_Arrow to open the selected text as the source segment
3. Type the translation in the target field.
4. Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 with the next cell down.
Continue until you reach the end of the column.

Repeat the procedure for each column to be translated.

Wordfast won't let you force a segment that contains a paragraph mark, so if a cell contains paragraph text you can select the first sentence (or phrase ending in a paragraph mark) with Ctrl-click and use Wordfast as usual (translate segment, open next segment) for the rest of the text in the cell, then move down to the next cell.

France
French to English
Good idea Aug 22, 2008

Shift Alt Down, that's a good idea (was also suggested by someone on the wordfast list)

Another suggestion from the list - write a macro to cycle through all the tables and apply the marching red ants where needed, so you don't have to do it one by one.

Member (2006)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the ideas, but I have some questions Aug 24, 2008

@Ken Cox: What is ctrl-click? I am a mac user and if I keep the ctrl button pressed while clicking on my mouse, I get the same results as if PC users use their right mouse button. Is there something equivalent on a Mac?

@Lori: That might work, but I am woefully inexperienced in writing macros (I have done a few, but I am anything but proficient in that respect) - I'll have to think about that in a quiet minute, but I'll definitely keep it in mind!

The two of you: thank you very much!

Member (2006)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I figured it out Aug 24, 2008

I finally figured it out: it's the apple/cmd button. I've mostly just highlighted the whole cell and forced the segment - works like a charm. I've really made progress today (even if there are paragraph marks, Wordfast just offers to turn them into spaces - perfect) - it is really a good way of dealing with tables.

Thank you, both of you!.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

By-column function for Word tables?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums