Mobile menu

Correcting a machine translation with WordFast exisiting TM
Thread poster: Paola Grochi

Paola Grochi  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 22, 2008

I'm translating a huge job. The client says he's ok we use machine translation as long as we correct the output. I've got a quite big translation memory of it by now, and I wonder if I can use it to check the machine translation.

I've thought about it and wonder:

1.- Shall I do the machine trnaslation and then check it with WordFast? and if yes, how?

2.- Shall I pretranslate with my TM and copy source, and then machine translate the rest? If so, will the machine translation software translate my tranlation into something else, or could it leave the translated part untouched?

Thanks a lot for the help, hate using MT, but I'm quite time pressured, and client doesn't mind as long as it is corrected.

Direct link Reply with quote
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:55
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
I don't use machine translation often/much Aug 24, 2008

But when I deem it feasible, I use Promt MT program that supports use of translation memory. I do:
a) import a TM (in TMX format) into Promt TM base;
b) translate a document;
c) export the result as a bilingual table;
d) align it with PlusTools and produce a Wordfast TM;
e) go through the original document in Word using the TM produced in d).

Don't know, if that will work for you — sometimes this procedure turns to be quite time consuming.

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
Member (2011)
+ ...
Wordfast and MT Nov 11, 2008

The procedure that esperantisto indicates above is one possibility. There are various workflows you can use. It's probably too late now since your request was at end of Aug and I just saw it.
I've indicated different approaches (in walkthoughs, project case studies, etc) in working with MT only and MT combined with TM at the MT postediting site ( which is focused on the effort needed to do the touch up effort (postediting) after content has been sent through an MT system.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Correcting a machine translation with WordFast exisiting TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs