Thread poster: Jana Zajicova
Jana Zajicova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Aug 27, 2008

Hello,

I should be able to use .mtw files in Wordfast, right?

"A third possibility consists in using directly Trados MultiTerm™ glossaries (MTW). By pressing twice the keys Control-Alt-g over a word, a window opens showing the whole item of the MultiTerm glossary, illustrations included. If you open the MultiTerm glossary using the "Select glossary" option, Wordfast automatically creates a version in .txt format of the original MultiTerm file.mtw, and uses that copy; consequently, glossary updates and editing have no effect on the original MultiTerm file, but only on the simple text format glossary."
http://www.logos.it/pls/dictionary/linguistic_resources.cap_5_33?lang=en

However, when I try to upload such a glossary into WordFast, I am told "WordFast cannot open this sort of file". Where did I mess up? Do I have to export the .mtw file into another format first? If so, which and how (without having to own Trados if possible)?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some possible reasons Aug 27, 2008

If you look at that page you'll see a screenshot of Wordfast's glossary pane, but that doesn't look anything like the glossary pane in your Wordfast, does it? That's because the Logos.it page is very, very old. It gives advice on using Wordfast 3.5 and not to the current version of Wordfast. It also probably refers to MTW files that were produced by the version of Trados that was the current version at the time when Wordfast 3.5 was the current version of Wordfast.

As far as I know, the current version of WF does not support the current version of Trados's glossary format.

Jana Zajicova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 28, 2008

Thanks, I didn't really pay attention to the relevant version of WordFast in that tutorial.

I've already resolved the problem with the help of my client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MTW (MultiTerm) in WordFast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs