Mobile menu

Extracting ms word files prior to aligning
Thread poster: howard carter

howard carter
Local time: 07:59
Spanish to English
Sep 11, 2008

On extracting word files using "tools" in wordfast, the text file which is generated is only a fraction of the original file size making alignment impossible. I am using vista with office 2007 and wordfast 5.53. I am new to wordfast so it is conceivable (and more than likely) that there is an important step I have missed. Any help would be most gratefully received, H.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:59
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Using a separate aligner may be better Sep 12, 2008

By now I have almost 5 years working with WF. I simply desisted of using the aligner in PlusTools because of its complexity, in sharp contrast with the easiness of WF.

What I use instead is the TS2000 Align from the long time ago defuncted Cypersoft. It is exactly "abandonware" ( I love this term), is free and very easy to use. I can send you both the program and the key if you contact me privately.

Saludos

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I sometimes have this problem too Sep 12, 2008

howard carter wrote:
On extracting word files using "tools" in wordfast, the text file which is generated is only a fraction of the original file size making alignment impossible.

Yes. I also have that problem. Some earlier versions of WF didn't have this problem. Hopefully the next version won't have it either. Such is life with WF... all public releases are buggy, so choose your preferred bug and choose your preferred version

If you extract the text using WF 3.35x (ask around for it) or WF 4.22t22 (available from the WF web site), you can still use the latest version of PlusTools to align it.

Unlike Jorge, I find PlusTools' aligner infinitely easier to use than Cyperssoft's.

howard carter
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to Jorge and Samuel Sep 12, 2008

Thanks Jorge, but I still haven't even managed to get to the alignment stage; the extraction process doesn't allow me to obtain the main body of the text but curtails the process after about one page. Does the program you use facilitate extraction and is it compatible with subsequent use with wordfast?

Samuel: if I try extraction using a prior version of wordfast, does this mean that I will have to run two separate versions - one for extraction and the other for mainstream work - or would it be simpler just to downgrade to an earlier version. Thanks, H.

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:59
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TS 2000 Align extracts and then aligns Sep 13, 2008

The little program I am proposing you to use performs the two operations you need for get an TRADOS compatible TM starting from two texts (source and target) in Word, rtf, etc.

It is somewhat limited in the formats it can handle, but is OK for Word, rtf, tec.

If you have problems for WordFast importing the TRADOS TM resulting from the alignment, you might use Olifant.

Finally, if you want to try the "all WordFast" way, as suggested by Samuel you can dowload version 3.35x from www.wordfast.org. I also have this version available if you need it.

Saludos

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Downgrade temporarily Sep 13, 2008

howard carter wrote:
Samuel: if I try extraction using a prior version of wordfast, does this mean that I will have to run two separate versions...?

No, you can't do that. You install the older version, and then you install the newer version again. Make a careful note of your serial and install numbers, in case WF loses them.

The process of installing an older version may be slightly different -- with new versions, you can double-click the DOT file, but with older versions you had to use File -> Open to open it.

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
extracting words Sep 14, 2008

Howard, there is a set of linguistic tool at: http://publish.uwo.ca/~craven/freeware.htm, among them there is also an extracting tool.

dragomir

howard carter wrote:

On extracting word files using "tools" in wordfast, the text file which is generated is only a fraction of the original file size making alignment impossible. I am using vista with office 2007 and wordfast 5.53. I am new to wordfast so it is conceivable (and more than likely) that there is an important step I have missed. Any help would be most gratefully received, H.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
ExtPhr32 Sep 14, 2008

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:
Howard, there is a set of linguistic tool at: http://publish.uwo.ca/~craven/freeware.htm, among them there is also an extracting tool.

Yes, but what Howard wants is to extract sentences, not single words. And he wants the sentences from the two files to be in the same order, whereas Tim Craven's tool sorts the words before outputting it.

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
How come Office 2007 and Wf? Sep 14, 2008

First of all, a point about the coupling of the two from the title.
It was a detail i saw immediatelly on beginning and admired how Wordfast can function on Ms Office 2007 at all.
To my knowledge, it is impossible. I tried once to install it on a friend's laptop with MS Office 2007 and Win Vista.
Or, Howard did succeed to make it function, and this partial functioning is the cause of the problem?
What I learned by muself and read here, is that Ms Office 2007 on Windows, and the same product on Mac, lacks a further support for VB and macroes.

So, what happened? Ms Office all of a sudden, does support macroes and Visual Basic?

Dragomir

Samuel Murray wrote:

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:

Yes, but what Howard wants is to extract sentences, not single words. And he wants the sentences from the two files to be in the same order, whereas Tim Craven's tool sorts the words before outputting it.

[Edited at 2008-09-14 14:16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting ms word files prior to aligning

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs