Wordfast too slow with complex table
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:31
Spanish to English
Sep 14, 2008

I am using wordfast 5.51b and Word 2003. Unfortunately I have a document where most of the information is laid out in a complex table, and wordfast worked beautifully with the first part, before I got into the table but now it is soo slow it totally unmanageable. I Have looked everywhere for a solution and have even copied and pasted a small section of the table into a new document but even that is just as slow.

Is there any genius out there who knows how I can solve this problem.
... See more
I am using wordfast 5.51b and Word 2003. Unfortunately I have a document where most of the information is laid out in a complex table, and wordfast worked beautifully with the first part, before I got into the table but now it is soo slow it totally unmanageable. I Have looked everywhere for a solution and have even copied and pasted a small section of the table into a new document but even that is just as slow.

Is there any genius out there who knows how I can solve this problem. All suggestions most gratefully received.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try older version Sep 14, 2008

This problem with tables seems to be rather new. Try an older version, there is at least 4.22 available at the wf-site.
I haven't tried this yet, because my tables are rather small, but wf gets stuck and closes translation.

Regards
Heinrich

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The anti-genius Sep 14, 2008

I only use Word for its being the market standard. As a software package I give it the lowest possible scores in user-friendliness and functional reliability.

Microsoft has undertaken the task of pulling hardware development, by making its software always demand more processing muscle than the state-of-the-art at its launch can offer. So every new version is visibly "worse" than its predecessor, if run on the same computer.

This is why I use the old Word 97 whene
... See more
I only use Word for its being the market standard. As a software package I give it the lowest possible scores in user-friendliness and functional reliability.

Microsoft has undertaken the task of pulling hardware development, by making its software always demand more processing muscle than the state-of-the-art at its launch can offer. So every new version is visibly "worse" than its predecessor, if run on the same computer.

This is why I use the old Word 97 whenever the files so allow. As my hardware is much newer than that, it's dazzling fast. The program loads in a flash, and WF handles mammoth-sized files whizzing past before my eyes.

If W97 will botch up formatting with this file, one possibility is to copy this complex part to translate and create the TM in W97, and then use that TM on W2003.

HTH.
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:31
French to English
An idea - a little complicated Sep 14, 2008

Copy your table into excel, save as a normal xls file and then save as again, tab delimited txt this time (with a different name).

Now open the txt file in word, save as .doc and translate this separate file.

Once you have translated and cleaned up, open a blank word doc and the initial excel file, and translate the excel file from the TM (you should have all 100% matches).

Now copy your translated excel file back into the original word file.

... See more
Copy your table into excel, save as a normal xls file and then save as again, tab delimited txt this time (with a different name).

Now open the txt file in word, save as .doc and translate this separate file.

Once you have translated and cleaned up, open a blank word doc and the initial excel file, and translate the excel file from the TM (you should have all 100% matches).

Now copy your translated excel file back into the original word file.

I know this sounds really complicated, but maybe it will help.
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much to everyone Sep 14, 2008

It is wonderful to have that help out there.

I have started using Lori's idea and so far so good. But it is good to know that there are other options if I run into problems with it.

I am eternally grateful to everyone.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tables have always been a problem Sep 14, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
This problem with tables seems to be rather new. Try an older version, there is at least 4.22 available at the wf-site.

Complex tables have always been a problem. One solution used to be to hide hidden text, but newer versions of WF don't have that function any more, although some versions did have HHT as a Pandora's option.

Here's an offbeat thought... remove everything but the table, then see if a roundtrip via OpenOffice.org is okay, and it is, use OmegaT for the table.

Maria Ramon
Maria Ramon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
"heavy cells and WF..." Sep 14, 2008

Wonderful that others are discussing the problems with WF, and offering solutions!

I am just a translator and no computer whiz, however, because of client's demands I have purchased Wordfast this year, and have become quite acquainted with it, but I am sure I am only using part of its usefulness.

At times I have files with cells that according to WF 'are heavy cells' it closes a segment like it were a 'heavy drop of water' and then either doesn't open the next segment o
... See more
Wonderful that others are discussing the problems with WF, and offering solutions!

I am just a translator and no computer whiz, however, because of client's demands I have purchased Wordfast this year, and have become quite acquainted with it, but I am sure I am only using part of its usefulness.

At times I have files with cells that according to WF 'are heavy cells' it closes a segment like it were a 'heavy drop of water' and then either doesn't open the next segment or takes its time opening the next segment.

I also have no clue as to how translate excel files with Wordfast; I know it is done, but I don't know how?
I'd love to receive some instruction on how to do that. And if someone does tell me, thanks in advance!

One of my clients really wants me to do the translation of his excel files and he converts them into word files, but sometimes they have parts that are 'unaccessible' to translate, and I can only translate them in the cleaned up document after translation and replacing the source text with the translated text right there. And some are in tables/cells that are absolutely 'inaccessible' and I have to provide the translation on a separate sheet/document.

I will be following this thread, it may just open my eyes to more possibilities!

[Edited at 2008-09-14 20:05]
Collapse

Déesse
Déesse
French to Dutch
+ ...
Two answers Sep 15, 2008

Lori, your idea is really great, but there is no need to copy the text in Excel. Word has a function where you can convert a table into plain text separated by tabs.

As for translating Excel files with Wordfast, you only have to open the Excel file and a clean Word file. When you are in the Word file, just start your translation as you would usually do. The Excel text will show in Word, and you can translate quite easily that way.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
If possible convert the table Sep 15, 2008

I have from time to time the same problem. If the situation permits it, why not convert the table into text in Word before starting the translation with WF ? And after the cleaning convert the text into table ?

Regards,

Olivier

Maria Ramon
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
How to convert table into word? Sep 15, 2008

How would I convert table into Word?

When I have these Word files with tables, there are parts where when I click on the first letter of the sentence a blue lined frame appears, I think that that is a table, and I have no idea how to make the blue frame disappear without the text disappearing too.

I know that for the younger generation all these things are 'so natural' but for me, an older person with no formal 'computer education' it is all quite mysterious.
... See more
How would I convert table into Word?

When I have these Word files with tables, there are parts where when I click on the first letter of the sentence a blue lined frame appears, I think that that is a table, and I have no idea how to make the blue frame disappear without the text disappearing too.

I know that for the younger generation all these things are 'so natural' but for me, an older person with no formal 'computer education' it is all quite mysterious.

I have learned enormously about all these computer mysteries but it seems there is still even more, and like it is all developing faster that a person can keep pace with.

Some of the manuals are just not clear on how to do things, they are written for people who 'grew up with computers'.

I will try the suggestions made here and appreciate the input.
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback Sep 15, 2008

Unfortunately in my case, the use of excel and then word 97 did not work, such was the complexity of the table I had to deal with.

I finally opted to use the Wordfast extract option, translate those sections and then use the WF translate option and this worked.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and I hope this forum will be of use to more people at a later date.

Déesse
Déesse
French to Dutch
+ ...
Maria, Sep 15, 2008

I'm using the Dutch version of Word 2007. When selecting the whole table, I can do "Indeling" (structure in English?) => "Convert to text". I'm not sure whether these are the correct translations in English, maybe someone else could help?

Maria Ramon
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ducth is no problem Sep 15, 2008

Sébastien, Ducth is no problem, I am fluent in Dutch, as a matter of fact it is one of my native languages.

Thank you for your instruction, I will try that.

I am trying to become as 'computer literate' as possible. It opens more possibilities for me as a translator, to be able to translate in other kinds of files.

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
Convert table Sep 15, 2008

Olivier MANESSE wrote:

I have from time to time the same problem. If the situation permits it, why not convert the table into text in Word before starting the translation with WF ? And after the cleaning convert the text into table ?

Ah, sounds much simpler than my suggestion. I didn't know that could be done from within Word.

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
Excel Sep 15, 2008

Maria Ramon wrote:

I also have no clue as to how translate excel files with Wordfast; I know it is done, but I don't know how?
I'd love to receive some instruction on how to do that. And if someone does tell me, thanks in advance!

Have a look here:

http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/en:Wordfast_how_to

If anyone has improvements on my methods - please share and update the wiki!

And there are other articles here:

http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/en:Wordfast

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast too slow with complex table

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »