Jana Zajicova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Sep 27, 2008

Hello,

In a reasonably well formatted Powerpoint presentation, Wordfast:
1. handled most segments correctly (i.e. they were translated in MS Word and the target language version replaced the source language version);
2. failed to find several editable segments so they remained in the source language.

I had expected these. However, what baffles me is this:

3. Three sentences, all on the same slide, were found and translated in MS Word without any
... See more
Hello,

In a reasonably well formatted Powerpoint presentation, Wordfast:
1. handled most segments correctly (i.e. they were translated in MS Word and the target language version replaced the source language version);
2. failed to find several editable segments so they remained in the source language.

I had expected these. However, what baffles me is this:

3. Three sentences, all on the same slide, were found and translated in MS Word without any troubles whatsoever, but they remained in the source language in Powerpoint. It was a slide with a heading and four bullet points. The heading and the first bullet point were handled corectly. I opened the Word file again and went through the relevant segments with Alt+Down, hoping to solve this problem, which didn't happen.

How can I make Powerpoint/Wordfast (no idea who the culprit is) update the missing parts?

Thanks.
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:43
French to English
+ ...
It happens Sep 27, 2008

This can happen. However, it is much less likely if you use Werecat to extract the text and then re-insert it. It also picks up all editable segments, including notes and headers/footers so you shouldn't have the problems of sections being missed in the first instance. I have found that bits can go missing even with Werecat, when you know you've translated them in Word, but it seems to happen when you've manually overridden the segmentation process, i.e. changed the line breaks. It's a nuisance,... See more
This can happen. However, it is much less likely if you use Werecat to extract the text and then re-insert it. It also picks up all editable segments, including notes and headers/footers so you shouldn't have the problems of sections being missed in the first instance. I have found that bits can go missing even with Werecat, when you know you've translated them in Word, but it seems to happen when you've manually overridden the segmentation process, i.e. changed the line breaks. It's a nuisance, but I find it better to leave the segmentation as it proposes, even if it means that what's in the target segment doesn't actually correspond word-for-word to the source. Otherwise, you can end up with the first line translated, but the rest still source as there obviously wasn't room for it all to fit. Not ideal, but OK as long as you know!Collapse

Jana Zajicova
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Werecat Sep 27, 2008

Thanks, I will use Werecat next time I need to translate a Powerpoint presentation. I discovered it a while ago when I was searching for answers to my problem in this forum. Nevertheless, the question is what to do with the current project. Can I deliver the file to the client as is, just with an explanatory note?

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:43
French to English
+ ...
Manual edit Sep 27, 2008

You could either go into the Powerpoint file and manually edit the sections that haven't been changed. A pain if it's a big file, I admit.

The other option would be to download Werecat, extract the text into a new Word file. Run it through Wordfast again - because all the terms should already be in your memory, so it shouldn't take long. Then transfer the segments back into Powerpoint - and with any luck they should all be there!

All the best!

Claire

Jana Zajicova
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 28, 2008

The other option would be to download Werecat, extract the text into a new Word file. Run it through Wordfast again - because all the terms should already be in your memory, so it shouldn't take long. Then transfer the segments back into Powerpoint - and with any luck they should all be there!

I did exactly this and it was well worth my time. There are still some small things to be fixed manually (redundant brackets in tables etc.) but the overall level of formatting agreement was much higher with this smart cat than the old way.

Thanks, Claire!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some Powerpoint segments not updated

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »