Thread poster: Jana Zajicova
Jana Zajicova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Oct 1, 2008

Hello,

I sometimes encounter the following problem: I need to check how I translated a certain expression a couple of pages back so I click on the TM editor icon, press Ctrl+F and type in a keyword. This works most of the time but not always: Even though I know for sure the expression is there, I can't find it. I am either told "xxx not found" or, which is really weird, Wordfast highlights a line that does not contain what I am looking for. For the record, when I go and open the .txt file and search it, I of course find what I need.

Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
French to English
+ ...
Try context search Oct 1, 2008

Try the context search in the Wordfast toolbar. Highlight the term you want to search for and click on the context search button and it should bring up any instances of the term in the current TM and any BTM/VLTM you may have set up. If you then find the target term you want to use, highlight it and click Alt F12 and it will put the term in your target segment (and close the context search if you've set up that option in Pandora's box!)

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:28
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My case Oct 2, 2008

Jana Zajicova wrote:
.............For the record, when I go and open the .txt file and search it, I of course find what I need. Any suggestions?

I also met with this problem frequently. Can anyone give me algorithm how WordFast works?

Regards,
SL

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:28
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Context search Oct 2, 2008

If you open the tm in a text-editor you can easier do a search than in the Wf editor. I never even thought one could use the Wf editor for searching of terms. It is not made for that purpose, that's why its weak at that task, I believe.
But context search is the default function for this kind of search. You can choose if Wf searches in the whole folder or only in the open tm.
Regards
Heinrich

Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:28
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Ctrl+Alt+C Oct 2, 2008

Hi Jana,

The shortcut for context search is Ctrl+Alt+C (after you have highlighted the phrase to look up). I find it quite useful (though a bit confusing, because Trados has Alt+up, so I somtimes accidentally close the segment and go one segment up ).

If you don't find what is supposed to be there, you can try reorganizing the TM (from Translation Memory/TM tab). It helps sometimes.

Marek

Jana Zajicova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why I need the editor Nov 2, 2008

Oh sorry, I thought I had already replied. (blush)

Let me explain: I am familiar with context search and use it often. However, when I need to edit/delete something from the memory (which I admittedly didn't make very clear in the opening post), I simply need the editor (or the TXT file). I know there is a Replace function but Czech is a highly inflected language with numerous morphological patterns and you can easily mess it up. For this reason, I prefer to check each segment individually. Doing it from the editor would be faster than opening the TXT file. Well, it seems that I will have to live with the latter method.

Thank you for your replies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching in the TM - not finding words that are there

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs