Thread poster: Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:39
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 2, 2008

I received an excel file with two columns, one for source and one for target to be used as a TM.
How can I transform this file in order to use it as a TM ?

Thanks
Lucia

Direct link Reply with quote

Galina F
United States
Local time: 08:39
English to Russian
+ ...
... Oct 2, 2008

I usually copy and paste it into Wordpad and save as a .txt file. You could just save the Excel file in .txt format. I hope it helps.

Galina

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
TM, not glossary Oct 2, 2008

Hi Lucia,

Galina's solution will work if you want to create a glossary. You should use PlusTools alignment function to create an alignment table (you can align two short, dummy docs for example). Then past in your excel cells, delete dummy lines, and create your TM.

You'll have to download PlusTools and check out the manual for more precise alignment instructions.

Good luck,

John

Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 18:39
English to Russian
+ ...
Manual creation Oct 2, 2008

I do in manually, though it takes more copy-paste job, it is under visual control.

Well, first of all create a dummy TM in Wordfast and give it the appropriate name. Though it is .txt file it is possible to open in Excel. Just gives answers for queries it the emerging box. In Excel it would be seen where to copy-paste the source and target text. Other columns you need to fill by Auto... something like 'filling', there is an option in Edit. Then save it as .txt. Excel asks some questions, trying to save it its native format, decline or save, but you aim is the .txt file. Open in Wordfast the previously named TM, now it should be filled out.

Good luck

Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks !! Oct 2, 2008

I tried tips from Umutay and it worked !

Thanks a lot...I could save a lot of time.

Apart from this, do you know anything about the new version 6 of Wordfast?

It seems it will work with different file formats.

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 5 - How to transfrm an excel file into a TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs