Excel file with several pages
Thread poster: sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
Local time: 19:56
German to English
Oct 14, 2008

Folks, I am happily translating an Excel file with Wordfast and everything is working just fine.
Now I have come to the end of the page and want to continue on to the next page tab. Nothing happens. Nothing.

I close the Word document and decide maybe I have to start a brand new Word doc, the next page is displayed, I set it up and click alt + down.
Again nothing.

My question: Is it at all possible to translate an Excel document of several tabs/pages?
... See more
Folks, I am happily translating an Excel file with Wordfast and everything is working just fine.
Now I have come to the end of the page and want to continue on to the next page tab. Nothing happens. Nothing.

I close the Word document and decide maybe I have to start a brand new Word doc, the next page is displayed, I set it up and click alt + down.
Again nothing.

My question: Is it at all possible to translate an Excel document of several tabs/pages?

If not, is there a workaround? Can/Should I divide the Excel document into it's separate pages and do each one individually?

Please help. This doc has 5 pages of several columns and is due Friday.

Thanks in advance,
sylvie
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:56
French to English
+ ...
New Word document for each worksheet Oct 14, 2008

Hi Sylvie,

I had an Excel document with several worksheets recently and followed the instructions in the manual, which suggested starting a separate Word document for each worksheet. It worked fine for me. It sounds as though you've tried that already, though.

Claire

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Claire Oct 14, 2008

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I open the next worksheet and a new document. Put the cursor where it should be and go to the doc and press alt + down.
The status line on the bottom chugs away, you can almost hear the gears grinding, then it stops and there I am sitting in front of a blank page.

I'm thinking of just doing the old "copy and paste" routine as a workaround, but wanted to avoid that since it went so well with the first page...

I'm using MS word 2002,
... See more
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I open the next worksheet and a new document. Put the cursor where it should be and go to the doc and press alt + down.
The status line on the bottom chugs away, you can almost hear the gears grinding, then it stops and there I am sitting in front of a blank page.

I'm thinking of just doing the old "copy and paste" routine as a workaround, but wanted to avoid that since it went so well with the first page...

I'm using MS word 2002, Wordfast version 5.0zz4 (that's what it says there).

sylvie
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:56
French to English
+ ...
Cursor position? Oct 14, 2008

I seem to remember that the manual says something about don't put your cursor in the cells. I've just gone back into my Excel file again and gone to the second sheet, but I put the cursor in the top left-hand corner, so the whole sheet is highlighted. When I clicked Alt Down it brought up the first cell on that sheet.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Claire

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Oct 14, 2008

Claire you're a sweetheart!
It must have been pure luck that the first worksheet worked the way I positioned (not) the cursor. I highlighted the cell as you said and it is working now as it should be.

Air-kisses,
sylvie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel file with several pages

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »