Selina Eid
Selina Eid  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:29
German to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2008

Hi,
I am new to wordfast and I am currently trying to create TMs from existing translations in our company. I have done the alignment and have tried to create a TM from the document that resulted from the segment alignment. This is where I have a problem. I cannot create a TM by blicking on the create TM button. It says run-time error and path/file access error. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I have consulted the manual but could not figure out the problem.
Thanks for your
... See more
Hi,
I am new to wordfast and I am currently trying to create TMs from existing translations in our company. I have done the alignment and have tried to create a TM from the document that resulted from the segment alignment. This is where I have a problem. I cannot create a TM by blicking on the create TM button. It says run-time error and path/file access error. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I have consulted the manual but could not figure out the problem.
Thanks for your help,

Selina
Collapse

Rancher
Rancher  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
What software have you used? What is the format of translations? Oct 24, 2008

I can't see any "create TM" button in wordfast (Select TM, or New TM). In case of manual work on the text only using wordfast I'd create an empty TM with correct language definition and via wordfast insert first TU. Then it's enough to paste the translation text in identical format (many 'fields' separated with tabs ending with paragraph = one TU).

This is howeverer meticulous endeavour, so if the translations you mention can be exported in .tmx do this and then automatically import
... See more
I can't see any "create TM" button in wordfast (Select TM, or New TM). In case of manual work on the text only using wordfast I'd create an empty TM with correct language definition and via wordfast insert first TU. Then it's enough to paste the translation text in identical format (many 'fields' separated with tabs ending with paragraph = one TU).

This is howeverer meticulous endeavour, so if the translations you mention can be exported in .tmx do this and then automatically import to wordfast.

I personally use access to handle text files, but it requires some experience.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Did you use Plustools? Oct 24, 2008

AFAIK, one cannot create TMs with Wordfast.
With Plustools, I have never encountered any problem, although the whole thing may be lengthy, if the segments in a long document don't correspond exactly. Anyway, the result is fine!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Security issue? Oct 24, 2008

Selina Eid wrote:
I am new to wordfast and I am currently trying to create TMs from existing translations in our company.

Does Wordfast itself work for you? It could be that your MS Word's macro security settings are too high and that it does not trust the VB project.

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
French to English
PlusTools Oct 24, 2008

Hi Selina,

I think Cristel is right. Whenever I've created translation memories from existing translations, I've always used PlusTools. After alignment, you should end up with a .txt file. Make sure that file is open in Word, open PlusTools, click on the "Align" tab and then click on "Create TM".

I actually described the process of aligning quite a while ago (well, I described it in my own little way)! Have a look this
... See more
Hi Selina,

I think Cristel is right. Whenever I've created translation memories from existing translations, I've always used PlusTools. After alignment, you should end up with a .txt file. Make sure that file is open in Word, open PlusTools, click on the "Align" tab and then click on "Create TM".

I actually described the process of aligning quite a while ago (well, I described it in my own little way)! Have a look this post and it might help:

http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/84221-problems_with_plustools.html

Regards,

Simon
Collapse

Selina Eid
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
creating a multilingual glossary from TM Oct 29, 2008

Thank you for your quick replies, I finally managed to create a TM with plustools last week. My next question would be how I create a glossary from this TM. I used the extract function in plus tools and I extracted terms from the source and target document but as a result I had a table of source and target terms that almost never corresponded. When i extract terms from the TM itself it will only give me one column of terms and not two opposing columns with source and target terms respectively. D... See more
Thank you for your quick replies, I finally managed to create a TM with plustools last week. My next question would be how I create a glossary from this TM. I used the extract function in plus tools and I extracted terms from the source and target document but as a result I had a table of source and target terms that almost never corresponded. When i extract terms from the TM itself it will only give me one column of terms and not two opposing columns with source and target terms respectively. Does anyone by chance know another way of creating a glossary from existing translations?
Thank you for your help.
Selina
Collapse

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
French to English
Excel Oct 30, 2008

Another possible way of creating a Wordfast glossary is with Excel. Basically, you put your source terms in the left column and the target terms in the right column. Then save the file as a tab delimited text file. You can then open it in Wordfast (remember to click on Reorganise in the Terminology tab).

Simon

Selina Eid
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
use extract tool before aligning two documents Nov 12, 2008

I have another question in regards to creating a new TM. Do I have to use the extract tool first to extract segments of the target/source text and then align the two Extract files?
This is what I read in the Plustools Manua:
+Align's purpose is to generate translation memories from pairs of translated documents, where original documents are called source, and their translations are called target.

Overview of the workflow:

1. extract all segments from both s
... See more
I have another question in regards to creating a new TM. Do I have to use the extract tool first to extract segments of the target/source text and then align the two Extract files?
This is what I read in the Plustools Manua:
+Align's purpose is to generate translation memories from pairs of translated documents, where original documents are called source, and their translations are called target.

Overview of the workflow:

1. extract all segments from both sets of documents;
2. align (this is a manual operation) all segments;
3. generate the translation memory.

1. The first step is to create two "extraction" files: one containing all source text (all source segments), and one containing all target text (target segments).

Start Wordfast. Make sure no document is opened (close the default, empty document if it's there). Go to the Tools tab. Select all source files, then click the "Extract" button. Give a file name for the extraction file (like "source.text" perhaps). Repeat the same operation for target files.

As a result, you now have two "extraction" files, you know their location (the folder in which they are) and their names.

Thank you for your help!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

creating a glossary and TM from previous translations

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »