Mobile menu

Context Search Not Working
Thread poster: Yuri Smirnov

Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:16
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Oct 24, 2008

I don't think it ever happened to me before. In a newly created TM No Context Search is working (Ctrl+Alt+C). None, whatsoever!
Even if I see the word there and try to search it — to no avail!
Don't think the manual or the knowledge base are helping me. No reinstalls.

Thanks for good advice. For any advice at all, I would say.

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Elena Tondi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:16
English to Italian
+ ...
I'm in the same situation Oct 25, 2008

I downloaded the latest version of Wordfast just a few days ago and I have the same problem...I hope someone has got the solution as I'm working on a huge project:-(

Maria Elena

Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
English to Belarusian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What's else... Oct 25, 2008

What's else, I have the impression it's not even TRYING to search — the message 'No context found' comes almost before I press Ctrl-Alt-C

Ulrike Glaese  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
I have a similar problem Nov 2, 2008

Hi there,

I have been working on this lengthy file and suddenly whenever I try to use the context search window, I get a message: Wordfast Folder xxx not found. It keeps adding to the TM however, so it is using it all the time.

Really weird.

Also I have read somewhere that there is a version 5.54 and that there the function is called concordance search (just like in Trados). Is that correct?

I'd be grateful for any help!

Beth Varley  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Any luck in resolving your context search problems Dec 3, 2008

Hi,

I am wondering if you have find a solution to your problem since you posted this as I am experiencing exactly the same type of thing.

Since I upgraded to the most recent Wordfast version (5.53q), my context searches do not work. I am searching for expressions in the source text that I know I have already translated and they do not come up. Today I have had some context searches working and others not, both for expressions I know are in the TM.
For example I have translated a number of expressions with the word "forestier" in them, including "régime forestier". When I context search "régime forestier", there are no results whereas when I context-search "forestier" on its own, expressions with "forestier" do come up, but not those where "forestier" is associated with "régime". I find this really weird.

I have tried reorganising the TM but it does not help.

I would really be very grateful for any advice as I have a rather large document to translate!

Thanks!

TSDM
Russian Federation
Russian to English
Us too! Feb 12, 2009

We just started working in Wordfast, and clearly this function is not working. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:16
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Try the beta Feb 13, 2009

Go to http://www.wordfast.net/beta/ and download the latest beta, version 5.56n. It works.

Adrien Esparron
France
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
It works, but not directly Feb 16, 2009

Beth Varley wrote:

When I context search "régime forestier", there are no results whereas when I context-search "forestier" on its own, expressions with "forestier" do come up, but not those where "forestier" is associated with "régime".

Strange, it works on my system (I have the same version). Did you follow the user's manual instructions ? :

The search for contexts will be done first in the background translation memory (if applicable), then in the regular translation memory. The purpose of Context search is to find Translation Units (TUs) that contain a given word or a set of words. The Ctrl+Alt+C shortcut or the Context icon launches the search. The search will bring results on words that begin like the searched-for item, case-insensitive. Searching for cat will bring TUs that contain cat, or catering or caterpillar, etc, but not bobcat or supercat.

Searching for *cat will bring TUs that contain words like bobcat or supercat etc.

The OR/AND operators can be used. Searching for cat+dog will bring TUs where either cat OR dog are found; searching for cat&dog will bring TUs where both cat AND dog are found.

Note that to open the dialog box that lets you specify such extended search options, you must start context search when no selection is made; if a selection is made (for example, one word is selected in the source segment), then Wordfast assumes that the selected word has to be searched and will directly search for it, without offering the extended search dialog box. This allows fast searches with minimal clicks or shortcuts.

Hoping it helps,

Regards,

Olvier

[Modifié le 2009-02-16 10:25 GMT]

Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:16
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Context Search does not work with a new TM - AGAIN May 9, 2009

Has anyone here been able to solve the problem?

I just started a new TM and my Context Search is giving me "No context for XXX found" with every single term, but keeps adding stuff to the TM.

This is a large project, and I am pulling my hair out, so kindly help.

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Context search May 12, 2009

Sam Berner wrote:

Has anyone here been able to solve the problem?

I just started a new TM and my Context Search is giving me "No context for XXX found" with every single term, but keeps adding stuff to the TM.

This is a large project, and I am pulling my hair out, so kindly help.

The other TMs (those in which the Context Search will be looking) have to be situated in the same folder as the TM you are using. I think this is your problem. If they aren't, Context Search will not be working, and it ALWAYS works. In case of older Wordfast versions, you should highlight the word WF has to look for in the source segment, but in WF 5.53q you can also look for something in the target segment.
So put all your TMs in the same folder and then re-open the TM you will be using for this project, and then try again.

I am a great fan of the Context Search - in combination with a desktop search program such as Copernic.

[Modifié le 2009-05-12 20:18 GMT]

Seamus Moran  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Contexts not working Oct 21, 2009

I have the same problem. The context search used to work, but not it will not function at all. Can anybody offer support?

Seamus Moran  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
A step forward Oct 21, 2009

I've just noticed that the keyboard shortcut doesn't work anymore but the Wordfast icon does. Strange!

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Intelliwebsearch usurps the keyboard shortcut? Oct 22, 2009

Seamus Moran wrote:

I've just noticed that the keyboard shortcut doesn't work anymore but the Wordfast icon does. Strange!

Did you install Intelliwebsearch? I don't use it but I heard from a Wordfast colleague it usurps Ctrl+Alt+C, so you can't use this shortcut to launch context/concordance searches in Wordfast.

Michael Farrell  Identity Verified

Italian to English
The conflict can easily be solved Nov 5, 2009

David Daduc wrote:

Did you install Intelliwebsearch? I don't use it but I heard from a Wordfast colleague it usurps Ctrl+Alt+C, so you can't use this shortcut to launch context/concordance searches in Wordfast.

The problem can however easily be solved:

1. Right click the IntelliWebSearch icon.
2. Choose "Program settings".
3. Choose a new "Return Shortcut Key" (not Ctrl+Alt+C).
4. Click "Save and close".

You can actually choose a different "Return Shortcut Key" when you are installing IntelliWebSearch so the problem need never occur, but I suspect most people just accept the default settings and click the Next button every time when they install software.

All of IntelliWebSearch's shortcuts are customizable precisely in order to avoid conflicts with other software.

HTH
Regards
Mike

[Edited at 2009-11-05 06:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-05 06:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Context Search Not Working

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs