https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/120725-60_test_failed_by_importing_trados_tmx.html

6.0 test failed by importing Trados TMX
Thread poster: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:13
English to German
+ ...
Nov 15, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I was looking forward to "upgrading" from Trados to Wordfast 6.0, but as it looks it's not so easy. When I try to open the first TMX export file I always get a fatal error message.

How can it be possible that there are "empty segments", Trados doesn't allow empty segments? I tried alls different TMX formats, there is always.

***warning*** TU 14257 has sempty segment
***warning*** TU 14394 contains tabulation
***fatalerr
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I was looking forward to "upgrading" from Trados to Wordfast 6.0, but as it looks it's not so easy. When I try to open the first TMX export file I always get a fatal error message.

How can it be possible that there are "empty segments", Trados doesn't allow empty segments? I tried alls different TMX formats, there is always.

***warning*** TU 14394 contains tabulation
***fatalerror*** Error on line 1240813 of document file:///C:/Dokumente%20und%20Einstellungen/Noe/Desktop/EU%20FRDE.tmx : An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x8) was found in the element content of the document. Nested exception: An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x8) was found in the element content of the document.

Why can WF not just skip one invalid caracter? Any idea how to make it run.

Thanks in advance for any hint

Noe
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Send it to me Nov 15, 2008

Noe Tessmann wrote:
When I try to open the first TMX export file I always get a fatal error message.

I'd like to have a look at this TM of yours. Can you send it to me?

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Big TM, concordance search and segment opening real slooow Nov 15, 2008

Hello Samuel,

thanks for your offer. It's quite big (300 MB). Meanwhile I managed to import it first in Wf 5.5 by opening the TMX file und then opening the created TXT file with Wf 6.0.
This worked out but actually Wf 6.0 seems not to be capable to handle big TMs. It takes around 30 seconds for a concordance search and some minutes to open the next segment. I'll have to stick to Trados for a while.

Regards

Noe

[Edited at 2008-11-16 10:03 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
This rings a bell... Nov 15, 2008

Noe Tessmann wrote:
An invalid XML character (Unicode: 2) was found in the element content of the document. Nested exception: An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x8) was found in the element content of the document.

Here's a thought... open the TMX file in a browser that shows errors in the XML, so you can see which character is creating the problem. I've had similar problems with smaller TMs created by a variety of programs (not just WF) and after fixing the corrupted characters, the TMs loaded fine.

If I can speculate, Trados is possibly more forgiving than WF. The problem may also be Java related. Either way, once you've isolated the corrupted character, send a bug report to Wordfast -- the version you're using is, after all, a beta version.

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:13
Known Issue with Wordfast 6.0 Nov 20, 2008

Hi Samuel,

This is actually a known issue with Wordfast 6.0 (we have just posted a known issues list on our website here - http://www.wordfast.com/support_issues.html .) There is a problem indexing the segments. This issue will be corrected in the next release which will be in the coming weeks. Thank you for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Kristyna Marrero... See more
Hi Samuel,

This is actually a known issue with Wordfast 6.0 (we have just posted a known issues list on our website here - http://www.wordfast.com/support_issues.html .) There is a problem indexing the segments. This issue will be corrected in the next release which will be in the coming weeks. Thank you for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Kristyna Marrero
Director of Sales & Marketing
Wordfast LLC
Collapse

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:13
English to French
+ ...
Dear Kristina Nov 23, 2008

I went to the link you indicated about the known issues, but I could not find nothing regarding WordFast 6.

I have been a faithful user of WF since 2003 and I have built a few large and exhaustive TMs. I wish the Online Help for WordFast 6 would tell us (or better show) show how to open those "old" TMs.

There are items in the Online Help about "Select/Create a New TM"that ask the user, after selecting the TM, to click on "Save". However, no "Save" button appears in th
... See more
I went to the link you indicated about the known issues, but I could not find nothing regarding WordFast 6.

I have been a faithful user of WF since 2003 and I have built a few large and exhaustive TMs. I wish the Online Help for WordFast 6 would tell us (or better show) show how to open those "old" TMs.

There are items in the Online Help about "Select/Create a New TM"that ask the user, after selecting the TM, to click on "Save". However, no "Save" button appears in the window.

Thanks for any help you. could give me

I would advise to have User's Manuel ready within the coming weeks and to create some tutorials.

Meanwhile, back to SDLX Trados Free-lance and/or WordFaste 5

Have a great week

Bruno Magne

Collapse

Wordfast 6 Known Issues Nov 24, 2008

Bruno Magne wrote:

Hi Bruno,

The link that Kristyna posted is all in regards to Wordfast 6.0 Pre-Release. The Wordfast 5.5 known issues and fixes are kept under the release notes.

We are continuing to develop our online help pages which can be found by navigating inside of Wordfast 6.0 via Help->Online Help. As we continue to implement fixes for issues the updated online help pages will serve as a manual on how to complete such tasks.

Regards,
Hillary Lindsay
Client Service Manager
Wordfast LLC
1300 Eye Street, NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20005
P/ +1-202-682-7092
www.wordfast.com

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:13
English to French
+ ...
Either I am very dumb or Nov 24, 2008

there is something terribly wrong

Dear Hillary,

Here is, amon other things, what I get on my screen when I click on the link:

All Platforms: • Find and Replace unable to toggle between Text/Table and cycle through segmentation
• Difficulty with placeable viewing and leveraging
• Can not use a Project/TM with different Language Pairs
• Segmentation rules not user defined
• Missing languages/spellcheckers
• Auto-pr
... See more
there is something terribly wrong

Dear Hillary,

Here is, amon other things, what I get on my screen when I click on the link:

All Platforms: • Find and Replace unable to toggle between Text/Table and cycle through segmentation
• Difficulty with placeable viewing and leveraging
• Can not use a Project/TM with different Language Pairs
• Segmentation rules not user defined
• Missing languages/spellcheckers
• Auto-propagation inconsistent
• Missing function for full file TM leverage in TXML editor view
• Auto Spell check not working
• Discrepancies when pulling in excel files for translation
• Whitespace characters functionality glitches
• Certain System set-ups have very slow TM leverage speed
• Inconsistent TMX import ability

None of these are links. When I click on the Knowledge base, Training, Learning Centers, Specifications, Supported Platforms links on the left below SUPPORT, all their contents have nothing to do with WF 6.0

Best regards

Bruno Magne

Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Certain System set-ups have very slow TM leverage speed Nov 25, 2008

Hello,

I think "Certain System set-ups have very slow TM leverage speed" has to do with Wf 6.0. I think it means up to several minutes for opening the next segment and up to one minute for a concordance search.

But is this only for Windows? Would it work better with other systems e.g. OSX? I didn't try if it can handle large TMs under Mac environement.

I think an import function for Trados TM export or a migration tool would be highly appreciated.
... See more
Hello,

I think "Certain System set-ups have very slow TM leverage speed" has to do with Wf 6.0. I think it means up to several minutes for opening the next segment and up to one minute for a concordance search.

But is this only for Windows? Would it work better with other systems e.g. OSX? I didn't try if it can handle large TMs under Mac environement.

I think an import function for Trados TM export or a migration tool would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards

Noe
Collapse

David Wallace
David Wallace  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:13
Member (2003)
Russian to English
+ ...
Wordfast 6.0 will not import Trados TMs Jan 12, 2009

Hi,
I am trying to set up Wordfast 6.0 so that I can use it in addition to Trados, when requested to do so by translation agencies.

Unfortunately, this is is turning out to be a very tedious undertaking.
I have spent an entire day trying every possible file-save format to import my existing TMs (German, Russian, French,
Spanish) from Trados into Wordfast.
In every case, I get the error message "An invalid XML character (Unicode 0x1f) was found in the element
... See more
Hi,
I am trying to set up Wordfast 6.0 so that I can use it in addition to Trados, when requested to do so by translation agencies.

Unfortunately, this is is turning out to be a very tedious undertaking.
I have spent an entire day trying every possible file-save format to import my existing TMs (German, Russian, French,
Spanish) from Trados into Wordfast.
In every case, I get the error message "An invalid XML character (Unicode 0x1f) was found in the element content of the document. Nested exception: An invalid XML character (Unicode 0x1f) was found in the element content of the document", "Fail [sic] to convert TMX file, fix errors and try again", "Failed to connect. Translation memory is empty", or, if I try to open a .txt export of the Trados TM, "Translation memory header is invalid"; if I try to fix the latter by creating a new TM in Wordfast and copying the Wordfast header to the .txt output from Trados, Wordfast no longer displays the "Translation memory header is invalid" error message, but no TM is available, i.e., no matches are found even if I use a file that I know is in the TM as the source text.

I read the posting about using an editor to find and clean up the errors. I have tried this in Notepad: it cannot find "0x1f". I frankly do not know anything about editing TMX files and I do not want to learn about it: I am interested in translating, not in debugging a software program I have paid to use.

This seems like a really basic flaw that should have been addressed long before Wordfast published a "pre-release" of Wordfast 6.0.

Another posting above suggests importing Trados TMs into Wordfast 5.5, then taking the resulting .txt file and importing that into Wordfast 6.0.

This "sort of" worked for the first, smaller TM I tried it on. I opened the .txt TM in Wordfast 6.0 - and again, there was no TM available. I then clicked on "ADD" and it took some minutes to AGAIN import the TM segments from the same file. After that, SOME, BUT NOT ALL, of the known segments were available in Wordfast 6.0.

However, I applied the same method to a much larger TM and was unsuccessful. "Failed to leverage segment. The following error(s) occurred: [name of TM]: Failed to leverage segment. unknown Wordfast escape "lt\;/spangt\;lt\;/ligt\;;' in target

t=lt\;ligt\;lt\span class=quot\;txt_zxorangequot\;gt\;'1;1
lt\;/spangt\;lt\;/ligt\;;programmetC;

A third and fourth TM likewise could not be imported.

I'm hoping Wordfast will fix this problem so that I can use their software, if requested, without having to abandon previous TMs.

[Edited at 2009-01-12 20:35 GMT]
Collapse

Ekaterina Mironova
Ekaterina Mironova
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Same error Nov 10, 2010

Hello,

I am getting the same error in version 2.4.0.1 when importing Trados TMX. Is there a workaround available?

Thanks,
Ekaterina

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
WF failed importing Trados TMX Nov 11, 2010

hello

try to import the tmx file with Olifant, selecting "Check for invalid XML characters", then flag and remove TUs with empty source and/or target, and export as a Wordfast txt file

it works, usually
;-D

Claudio

http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/Help/

[Modificato alle 2010-11-11 01:07 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
TMX Validator Nov 11, 2010

To check any TMX file, one can also use the free TMX Validator provided by Maxprograms (the publisher of Swordfish). It is available at http://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

6.0 test failed by importing Trados TMX

Translation news related to Wordfast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »