txml-files
Thread poster: Mattias Huss
Mattias Huss
Mattias Huss  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:16
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 24, 2008

I suspect this is a really stupid question, but I'm used to having a bilingual word-file (.doc) to deliver to a customer or for checking. With 6.0 you get a .txml-file, that I don't know what to do with, or a finished monolingual translation if you choose "Save as". How do you create a normal word-document with source and target sentences out of your translation?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:16
English to Thai
+ ...
Wordfast 6.0 cleanup Nov 24, 2008

In Wordfast 6.0, click the PM button to analyze or cleanup your *.txml bilingual file.
However, the pre-release version I downloaded did not show cleanup menu in PM button on the 2nd instance of cleanup. I already asked Wordfast development teams. The 1st instance gave cleanup error of my *.txml file out of the source *.doc file.
SL

[Edited at 2008-11-24 09:26 GMT]

TXML File Nov 24, 2008

Mattias Huss wrote:

I suspect this is a really stupid question, but I'm used to having a bilingual word-file (.doc) to deliver to a customer or for checking. With 6.0 you get a .txml-file, that I don't know what to do with, or a finished monolingual translation if you choose "Save as". How do you create a normal word-document with source and target sentences out of your translation?

Hi Mattias,

Currently in the pre-release version of Wordfast 6.0 the txml file is the only bi-lingual file that you can create. This txml file can be sent to other Wordfast users similar to any other file type, attach it to an email, FTP Site, etc. They can then view your translation. In this version of Wordfast if you needed a bi-lingual document in Word format that would require preparation work in the source document. I.E. Creating a copy of each segment then hiding one copy of each segment. Once you are completed with translation you can unhide all text and you will have a bi-lingual file.

Regards,
Hillary Lindsay
Client Service Manager
Wordfast LLC
1300 Eye Street, NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20005
P/ +1-202-682-7092
www.wordfast.com

PM Plug-in Known Issues Nov 24, 2008

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

In Wordfast 6.0, click the PM button to analyze or cleanup your *.txml bilingual file.
However, the pre-release version I downloaded did not show cleanup menu in PM button on the 2nd instance of cleanup. I already asked Wordfast development teams. The 1st instance gave cleanup error of my *.txml file out of the source *.doc file.
SL

[Edited at 2008-11-24 09:26 GMT]

Hi Soonthon,

Thanks for letting us know about the occurring problem with your Clean-Up tab in the PM Plug-in. This is on our list of known issues and will be resolved in the final release.

Regards,
Hillary Lindsay
Wordfast LLC
1300 Eye Street, NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20005
P/ +1-202-682-7092
www.wordfast.com

Mattias Huss
Mattias Huss  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:16
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
why? Nov 25, 2008

Hillary Lindsay wrote:

Currently in the pre-release version of Wordfast 6.0 the txml file is the only bi-lingual file that you can create. This txml file can be sent to other Wordfast users similar to any other file type, attach it to an email, FTP Site, etc. They can then view your translation. In this version of Wordfast if you needed a bi-lingual document in Word format that would require preparation work in the source document. I.E. Creating a copy of each segment then hiding one copy of each segment. Once you are completed with translation you can unhide all text and you will have a bi-lingual file.

This makes collaboration with Trados-users a lot trickier, doesn't it? Is that a consious strategy? This copying would mean wasting a lot of precious time.
I guess I'll just have to keep using the previous version then, although a standalone platform like 6.0 would otherwise be perfect for me as a Mac-user who has had considerable difficulties with the MSWord/WordFast-combination.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

txml-files

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »