Thread poster: Sheila Hardie

Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:11
Catalan to English
+ ...
Jan 5, 2009

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me here. I've already asked on the Wordfast hotline but not received a reply.

I bought a licence for Worfast a few days ago and am trying to learn how to use it. However, I cannot seem to enter glossary terms. When I highlight the term to add and press Ctrl+Alt+T (with the glossary active), it displays the source word and I click OK. It then displays another box asking me for the target term (displaying the source word still). I modify the term and enter the target term I wish to keep and then press OK. I then am asked to enter comments and for F1 and F2 and F3 fields. After I have accepted all those without entering anything, it tells me no glossary has been selected. I am at a loss as to what to do. Is this a problem that affects all Macs, or just me? I have Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac and OS X 10.4.11.

Moreover, I am unable to enter my licence number in the Pro 6.0 version of Wordfast. It appears that I can only run it as a demo version. Again, I wonder if this is Mac incompatability problem or just me being a bit dim!

I thought Wordfast was fully compatible with Mac, so I can't believe it is not possible to use the glossary properly or enter the licence number in the 6.0 version.

Any advice on these issues would be very gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance.

Sheila

Direct link Reply with quote

élodie chatelais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Same problem Jan 5, 2009

Hello,

I've had the same problem than Sheila, Wordfast worked perfectly well before, and when I've upgraded to 5.53, I never got to enter terms in the glossary. So thanks Sheila, for asking the question first, you're not the only one...

Elodie

TSDM
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:11
Russian to English
Better to use WF 5.5 in Parallels Jan 5, 2009

I had exactly the same experience with Office 2004. Though I managed to get a glossary loaded and working, the number of windows that open when entering a term compared to how cleanly this is executed in Windows was my main reason for giving up on WF Classic for Mac.

Maybe I am also missing something and other Mac users can comment on how to make WF work well with Word 2004?

I have come to the conclusion that WF is not usable on the Mac at the moment. Assuming you're using a newer Mac with an Intel processor, I'd recommend using Parallels to run Windows XP + Word 2003 with Wordfast. If you have 2GB of memory this works very well. If you have less, it shouldn't cost very much to upgrade.

About WF Pro/6.0. You may have already figured this out by now, but the program has a different licensing process from Classic/5.5: Log into support at http://www.wordfast.net, click on "License a Wordfast Translation Studio application (Wordfast Professional or Wordfast Classic)" and you can enter your Pro install number and then download the file you need to license the software. A few words of warning: It looks like 6.0 is going to run wonderfully on Mac. However, WF have clearly released this software before it was ready for any platform. Here's a list of "Known Issues"/bugs with 6.0:
http://wordfast.com/support_issues.html
I'm sure lots of people (ok, I should give them credit where credit is due — supergeeks) are happily using the software, but for me there are a number of things on this list that are "deal-breakers" for me. (No short-cut keys or spell check!)

All this might seem sad after buying the program, but my feeling is that it's only a matter of time before we all get a fully functional WF 6.0, and maybe — with a little luck — a new version of Office/Word for Mac that can use WF Classic/5.5. Until then my opinion is that Parallels is the way to go.

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 5, 2009

Sorry, I posted my reply twice!

[Modifié le 2009-01-05 16:49 GMT]

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 5, 2009

Thank you both for your replies.

Unfortunately, I don't have the option of running Windows in parallel because I've got an older computer that doesn't have Intel. So, I am not quite sure what I'll do. I'm very disappointed as I've just spent a lot of money buying Wordfast on the assumption that it was compatible with Macs! That is what they advertise.

Re. the licence, I can't even get the install number when I open the demo version so I can't licence it either. You need the install number in order to complete the registration after logging in to Wordfast support.

As I say, I've sent a message to the Wordfast Hotline and am waiting for a reply. I'll let you know what they say.

When I get a moment, I shall have a look at the known issues.

Thanks again for your help!

Sheila

TSDM
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:11
Russian to English
Think of it as investment... Jan 5, 2009

I know plenty of people have/are happily used/ing older versions of Classic (5.x) with Office 2004 for Mac on non-Intel machines. I'm getting the impressing that the poor terminology implementation might only problem with the more recent versions. What you (and I'm guessing quite a few other people) need is advice on what WF 5.x version to use and what settings are important in Word 2004 for WF to work properly. Anyone?

As to 6.0/Pro, try downloading the latest version from here:
http://wordfast.com/store_download.html
I think you need the 1 Jan version for the license manager to work. Here's what the instructions in the email I have say:
"Start Wordfast Professional, click the "Help" menu, click the "License management" submenu, and follow instructions to activate Wordfast Professional with the attached license file."
In the License management submenu you'll see the install number that you enter on the website.
Hopefully that will get you up and running with 6.0, but as I said, it just doesn't seem up to commercial standards at the moment for Mac or Windows at the moment.

In the end, as a Mac user WF looks like to me the only truly promising CAT tool out there. Assuming you bought it before 1 Jan, you got a deal. Don't drive yourself crazy trying trying to make a half-baked tool work for you (especially in regards to 6.0). Just keep on translating the way you used to, and consider it an investment in the future. Good things take time. Here's some inspiration:
http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/2005/mainland-cheese/

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Jan 5, 2009

Hi again, Chacher,

Yes, you are right - we really do need to know which version is best to use with Mac at the moment. I deliberately updated the version I had previously downloaded, not knowing that this would happen, naturally. And now they don't have the previous versions for Mac on the Wordfast website...

As for the Pro 6.0, I do have the latest version and, when I click on Licence management, nothing happens. That's the problem. I thought it was just me not doing things correctly, but now I realise it is not my fault!

I sent a message to the Wordfast hotline this morning, but haven't received a reply yet. I wonder how long they take to get back to you. And I also wonder what they will say...

I did buy it before 1st January (on 31st December to be precise!). And I would like to use it, as several clients have asked me to use a CAT tool. To be honest, it is such a hassle at the moment, I would like to continue translating as I did before. But having spent so much money... yes, I suppose I can look on it as an investment, but I am a bit disappointed that I was led to believe this would work fine with my equipment and find out that it doesn't. My issues don't even appear to be listed in the list of known problems. Maybe they should add them!

Anyway, thank you so much for your advice. and inspiration!

Sheila

Wordfast Pro Mac Issues Jan 7, 2009

As for the Pro 6.0, I do have the latest version and, when I click on Licence management, nothing happens. That's the problem. I thought it was just me not doing things correctly, but now I realise it is not my fault!

I sent a message to the Wordfast hotline this morning, but haven't received a reply yet. I wonder how long they take to get back to you. And I also wonder what they will say...

Hi Sheila,

Are you running your Mac with a G4 processor? We have a known issue with the license manager running on a Mac with a G4 Processor. We are working on it but have no time-line for a fix yet.

Just so you know we have a list of known issues available here http://www.wordfast.com/support_issues.html . I update this with every release along with the release notes available from here http://www.wordfast.com/support_release_notes.html

Thanks,
Hillary

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Hillary Jan 8, 2009

Hi Hillary,

Yes, I have PowerBook G4, so that must be the problem. I hope that you will find a solution to this issue soon. For the meantime, I suppose I can use Pro 6.0 in the demo mode.

Thanks for the references. I shall keep checking for new releases.

Sheila

Ulrike Glaese  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
No problems Jan 14, 2009

I friends, I am working on a Mac and using Wordsfast 5.53 and Word 2004 and I don't have any of the said problems. Wordfast runs well and is very stable. I have handled huge documents with hundreds of pictures, nothing crashed or went wrong. Glossaries work like a charm, I am very happy with this combination. I wonder where your problems originate. I also upgraded from an older iMac to a new one, both worked perfectly well.

Keep trying - the combination Mac and Wordfast in my eyes is the best one a translator can use right now.

Mark Harvey  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Glossary on Mac Feb 4, 2009

I'm just getting Wordfast 5.56j running on my Mac (OS 10.5.6). It's true entering a glossary term is a real bore if you go through the whole series of dialogue windows (much simpler and better on the PC, I regret to admit).
However, there's a slightly shorter way in 5.56, and probably also in 5.53:
Select source term and hit Ctrl+Alt+T. Nothing changes on the screen.
Select target term and hit Ctrl+Alt+T: source term window opens: click OK; target term window opens; click OK. Comment window opens: click Cancel. This leaves out some windows and jumps straight to the "Which glossary?" window: enter 1 and click OK. Entry complete.

Mark

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast version 5.56g Feb 4, 2009

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your message. In fact, since I installed Wordfast 5.56g on my Mac I've been able to use the glossary function. For some (technical) reason, it wasn't possible on earlier versions of Wordfast. There was some kind of bug apparently. In any case, I can enter terms with the CTRL+ALT+T (once to highlight the source term and again to highlight the target, then hitting lots of keys to choose the glossary etc.). But it seems to work OK. I don't know what it's like on a PC to be honest.

BTW, I must admit I haven't searched for information about this in the Wordfast guide, but is there any way of using existing Word glossaries (not created with a CAT tool) when using Wordfast? I tried saving one as a txt file and trying to 'upload' it as a glossary, but that didn't work. I suppose it's not possible. When I get a moment I'll have to investigate this more. It would be nice if it were possible!

Sheila

[Modifié le 2009-02-04 17:55 GMT]

[Modifié le 2009-02-04 17:56 GMT]

Mark Harvey  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Easy glossary Feb 5, 2009

Hi Sheila,

Make/import your own glossary. Just lay out your document in two columns separated by a single tabulation:
Source word + Tab + target word + Return,
and same again for the next term. Save as .txt. Then, in Wordfast, choose Terminology / Select Glossary and select the document you've just created. Bob's your uncle!

If a client sends you a glossary, edit it to that format and it will work. You may be given a glossary with multiple Tabs, not even necessarily the same in each line, e.g. :
français + Tab + Tab + Tab + English
serre-joints + Tab + Tab + clamp
Then just do an automatic replacement of all double Tabs by a single Tab, repeating until the process is exhausted, and save as .txt as above.

Regards

Mark

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Mark! Feb 7, 2009

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your help. I'll have a go now. My glossaries are in tables (in Word), so I'm not sure how easy it will be. But it's great to know it can be done!

Thanks again

Sheila

Mike (de Oliveira) Brady  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
I got it working, but... Feb 8, 2009

Sheila Hardie wrote:

Is this a problem that affects all Macs, or just me? I have Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac and OS X 10.4.11.

Moreover, I am unable to enter my licence number in the Pro 6.0 version of Wordfast. It appears that I can only run it as a demo version. Again, I wonder if this is Mac incompatability problem or just me being a bit dim!

I thought Wordfast was fully compatible with Mac, so I can't believe it is not possible to use the glossary properly or enter the licence number in the 6.0 version.

Sheila

Hi Sheila, I had exactly these problems and some others that drove me crazy for weeks.

My glossary problem was also solved by upgrading to version 5.56g.

For me this was a short-lived success as there was another problem that I only resolved by going from Word X to Word 2004. With Word X I found that after using the program for a while it would start to crash. Eventually I realised that crashing occurred when I tried to move onto the next segment if I had done a cut and paste operation before. I had tried all the things suggested of dumping the normal.dot template file and Word preference files and this did not help. Running a upgrade to Word X (I was only one version behind) solved the problem, but only for a short time. I don't know if this was linked to me using it in demo mode - I've not yet been convinced enough to buy a licence.

With Word 2004, it has been fine; neither crashing nor having a problem with the glossary. There is an intermittent error with the Wordfast toolbar drop down menu being blank, forcing me to use the icon menu. But generally I find it is okay.

Wordfast doesn't work with Word 2008, of course. Anyone needing a version of Word 2004 can check out eBay, which has legitimate old-stock copies available at a better price.

I have the same problem with Wordfast 6.0. when I was trying to install the temporary licence that they were offering in January.

I hope once these problems are resolved, Wordfast will repeat its offer of a reduced price for the two licences. I was interested in taking that up, but am delaying purchasing until the problems are resolved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 5.53e with Mac OX 10.4.11 - problems entering glossary terms

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs