Abraham Abukar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:09
Member (2005)
English to Somali
+ ...
Jan 13, 2009

Hello Friends,

For the first time, I am asked to edit with track changes a translated document ,
the document was created using Trados, but I use
WF, I am able to open the document and I can see the codes.

Is there an easy way to edit this document using WF and show track changes at the end?

Many thanks to ya'll!

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
edit as normal Jan 13, 2009

I assume you mean that the document contains hidden (source) text, the translation and the tags.

You can edit as normal using track changes. Have the hidden segments visible. Then, with track changes activated, make your changes, but taking care not to damage the tags.

Abraham Abukar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:09
Member (2005)
English to Somali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, both source and target text are visibale. Jan 13, 2009

Lia Fail wrote:

I assume you mean that the document contains hidden (source) text, the translation and the tags.

You can edit as normal using track changes. Have the hidden segments visible. Then, with track changes activated, make your changes, but taking care not to damage the tags.

Hello Lia,

Thanks for taking the time to reply my inquires.

Yes, both source and target text are visible.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:09
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Make a copy... Jan 13, 2009

... edit as usually and then compare the pre-edited and edited files using the standard revision feature of MS Word. It will highlight the changes.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
You can't run a file through WF with track changes on Jan 13, 2009

If you try, you'll get a pop-up box saying "Wordfast cannot process this document because it is protected, or in revision mode (see Tools/Protection or Tools/Track changes)"

As Lia says, you'll just have to edit it as you would any other file, without running it through WordFast.

Edit: Or follow Sergei's advice - a new one on me, and very useful it will be too.

[Edited at 2009-01-13 07:48 GMT]

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks Sergei, I'd never tried out that feature! Jan 13, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

... edit as usually and then compare the pre-edited and edited files using the standard revision feature of MS Word. It will highlight the changes.

That will be really useful for the numerous uncleaned files I have to edit - clearly the translation agency doesn't know about it either, or they'd already have told me!

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:09
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
This feature is very useful... Jan 13, 2009

TM is good, but if you get some previously translated file with some minor changes, it is good to compare first to see the "extent of the pain to take".

If you need to count words in the changes, use find-and-replace, leaving only blue (changed) text. (i.e. replacing black and red characters with nothing). Then count.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing Using WF.

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs