Thread poster: Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:25
German to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2009

I've been using Wordfast for some time and haven't had any problems, but I've just installed it on a different computer and it isn't recognizing the segments properly. Instead of dividing the text into sentences, it gives me whole paragraphs. Clicking on "shrink segment" has no effect. Without creating paragraphs after every sentence and then removing them when the translation is finished, I'm not sure how to solve it.

I thought about removing and reinstalling Wordfast, but I rea
... See more
I've been using Wordfast for some time and haven't had any problems, but I've just installed it on a different computer and it isn't recognizing the segments properly. Instead of dividing the text into sentences, it gives me whole paragraphs. Clicking on "shrink segment" has no effect. Without creating paragraphs after every sentence and then removing them when the translation is finished, I'm not sure how to solve it.

I thought about removing and reinstalling Wordfast, but I realized that I don't actually know how to remove it, either.

Versions are: Wordfast is 5.51i (as far as I can tell) and MS Word 2003.

Can anyone help?
TIA!
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:25
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
RTFM and... Jan 24, 2009

... check the segmentation rules.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
more and update Jan 24, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

... check the segmentation rules.

in the WF setup tab. You can change it to paragraph, sentence or Word sentences. There is a new version available that was just released on the 22nd. You could also try to update.

good luck,
John

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved, thank you! Jan 26, 2009

Many thanks for your help, John. Having spent ages trying to fix the problem, I have now solved it in a matter of seconds.

I thought it was some technical problem (as opposed to being merely a matter of settings), as it only started happening after the new installation, which is perhaps why I didn't find what I was looking for in the manual.

Anyway, thanks again. Have a good week!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Wordfast segments

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »