Specifying Wordfast Version When Posting Questions
Thread poster: Wordfast Support
Feb 5, 2009

Hi All,

In order to try and keep confusion to a minimum please try to reference which product you are using (Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro) and which version of that product you are currently running.

This should help get clearer and quicker answers on the forum.

Thanks in advance,

Hillary

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 17:31
SITE STAFF
Thanks Hillary Feb 5, 2009

Hello Hillary,

Thanks for posting this. It is good in general to be specific, which will help others better help you. I will ask site developers to include a reminder to this effect in the posting form for the technical forums.

Best regards,

Jared

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wordfast is always in beta Feb 5, 2009

Hillary Lindsay wrote:
In order to try and keep confusion to a minimum please try to reference which product you are using (Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro) and which version of that product you are currently running.

It has long been the custom on the Yahoogroup too. Wordfast is always in beta, in a manner of speaking. The developer doesn't wait months and months before releasing a bugfix or a new version with a cutting edge feature in it, so it's safe to always mention the version number. It's not even necessary to write "Classic" or "Pro", since Pro's version numbers are in the sixes (or aren't they any more?) and Classic's numbers are in the threes, fours and fives (mostly fives).

Wordfast Support
Wordfast Support
English
TOPIC STARTER
Specifying Version Numbers Feb 5, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

It has long been the custom on the Yahoogroup too. Wordfast is always in beta, in a manner of speaking. The developer doesn't wait months and months before releasing a bugfix or a new version with a cutting edge feature in it, so it's safe to always mention the version number. It's not even necessary to write "Classic" or "Pro", since Pro's version numbers are in the sixes (or aren't they any more?) and Classic's numbers are in the threes, fours and fives (mostly fives).

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for reiterating.

We have two different products in the Wordfast Translation Studio, Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro which have different behaviors/features/preferences. Wordfast 5.5 and Wordfast 6.0 are names that we are phasing out. Moving forward it will be Wordfast Classic 5.53 (example) and Wordfast Pro 2.1.8 (example--will not be version number 6 again for a while). WFC and WFP will not be on the same release schedules so there might be a point they have the same version number.

I feel its necessary to still reference Classic and Pro so that Pro/Classic readers can stay in the loop even if they aren't following the version numbers or are slow to download updates!

Thanks all,
Hillary

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tis a pity... Feb 5, 2009

Hillary Lindsay wrote:
We have two different products in the Wordfast Translation Studio, Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro which have different behaviors/features/preferences. Wordfast 5.5 and Wordfast 6.0 are names that we are phasing out.

It's a pity about the choice of names, though. Wordfast Easy and Wordfast Complicated would have been much better names for these two products, I think.

As for the numbers, why break something that works well? Retaining the number "6" won't hurt the new version of Wordfast at all. In fact, I suspect people will just shorten the name of the program they're using to what they believe to be the most relevant bits, i.e. "I use Wordfast 2" (Pro) and "I use Wordfast 5" (Classic).

[Edited at 2009-02-05 18:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Specifying Wordfast Version When Posting Questions

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »