Thread poster: Jordan Duff
Jordan Duff
Japan
Local time: 11:49
Japanese to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2009

Hello,

I am new to wordfast and CAT tools in general and would really appreciate if someone would help me out with a few basic questions.

1) If I am translating an excel file, and I have a glossary in excel format, how do i automatically translate everything in the target excel document which matches the glossary?

2) When I translate something in the source text in one place, how do I translate it again automatically further down in the document?

3) How do I know how many 100% and non-matches I have at the end of a project? Is this calculated automatically along the way? How is this information represented to a client who uses Trados once I send them the complete translation?

Thank you very much in advance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-06 18:09 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:49
Member (2004)
Italian to English
Might help Feb 6, 2009

Hi Jordan

I'm not a newbie but I'm only a very basic Wordfast user.
1) I don't use the glossary function but I don't believe there is anything automatic about it; you just search it as required.
2) If you have a repeated segment, it should appear automatically as a 100% match.
3) You should do the analysis before you start; Tools, Tools, Analyze
I gather the Wordfast website offers online tutorials.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:49
French to English
guidance Feb 7, 2009

1) If I am translating an excel file, and I have a glossary in excel format, how do i automatically translate everything in the target excel document which matches the glossary?

First, convert your excel glossary into a WF glossary (save as text only, tab delimited). Then, select the resulting file as your active glossary N° 1. Now, when you open up a segment that has a word already in your glossary, that word will be highlighted and you can treat it as a "placeable" and just insert it with a keyboard shortcut (CTRL ALT right/left to select it and then without releasing the CTRL ALT, down arrow to insert)

2) When I translate something in the source text in one place, how do I translate it again automatically further down in the document?

Did you create a TM? If so, it should propose translations on a green background for 100% matches.

3) How do I know how many 100% and non-matches I have at the end of a project? Is this calculated automatically along the way? How is this information represented to a client who uses Trados once I send them the complete translation?

You only analyse a file for matches/repetitions BEFORE starting a project. If the client supplies a TM, you will be able to see if there are any matches in that TM. If the client doesn't supply a TM, then WF will just analyse "repetitions" within the text itself. There is no point to analysing a file after the fact.

It might be worth your while to attend a day of training, or if that's not possible, maybe someone can give you a webinar. It's REALLY helpful to have someone show you everything, in addition to reading the manual. When I started out I did read the manual, but I couldn't understand much of it because I was new to CAT tools. Training really helped me to become proficient.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Three answers to three questions Feb 7, 2009

Jordan Duff wrote:

Can't be done. What you can do, is to use Align in PlusTools to turn the Excel glossary into a TM, and then use the TM while translating the Excel file.

Can't be done. But WF will show you a match for it when you get there, so just accept the match and continue. If you want a program that does that automatically, try OmegaT (but that is a difference piece of cake).

3) How do I know how many 100% and non-matches I have at the end of a project?

The analysis is done on the source text, so you can do the analysis beforehand on the untranslated file. It is called Analyse, I believe.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast newbie needs some guidance

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs