Wordfast 6 - Riddled with Bugs
Thread poster: William TAHIL
William TAHIL
William TAHIL  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:41
Member (2008)
French to English
Feb 9, 2009

This is feedback to Wordfast. 6.0 is riddled with inconsistencies and bugs. First I had a version from November - the TM did not function at all, period. Downloaded 1/01 update. TM better - but segmentation not the same as 5.5 so a partially translated doc from 5.5 with its memory does not fully carry over. Frequent "Failure to leverage" errors as well from the memory even when already done an identical segment. With all the tags in the source in 6.0 more incompatibility with the segments... See more
This is feedback to Wordfast. 6.0 is riddled with inconsistencies and bugs. First I had a version from November - the TM did not function at all, period. Downloaded 1/01 update. TM better - but segmentation not the same as 5.5 so a partially translated doc from 5.5 with its memory does not fully carry over. Frequent "Failure to leverage" errors as well from the memory even when already done an identical segment. With all the tags in the source in 6.0 more incompatibility with the segments and memory from 5.5 - have to all be manually redone just because 6 sees a tag where 5.5 does not show them.

Terminology is even worse and a real problem. Does not show up at all. If I manually add a term to terminology then it shows in red (not much use that though) - but if there are two terminology terms or more in a segment, you can't select each one to put in the target language! It only puts over the first one! And no feature to see multiple glossary entries with different meanings for same source word/ expression and select the one you want. The 5.5 glossary features were excellent - 6.0 is junk and unuseable in comparison. And yes if I select Edit the terminology there is my imported file - none of it automatically showing in red. And you can't see the meaning in the target language like in 5.5 before copying over the target meaning to check you really want it first, assuming there is only one terminology occurrence in the source segment.

Rating: 2 out of 10. Rushed to get it out too fast.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:41
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why bother to become the tester? Feb 10, 2009

I'm waiting for news of trusted individuals that indicate Wordfast stand-alone version is functioning well before I even try it out. It's not surprising that the development of such a tool takes more time than expected, even if the author has been writing translation software for ages.
Cheers
Heinrich

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:41
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Segmentation Feb 10, 2009

Emphyrio wrote:
segmentation not the same as 5.5 so a partially translated doc from 5.5 with its memory does not fully carry over.

I don't think segments can ever be identical in the Word add-on and standalone versions. The standalone version must keep formatting in the memory (tags).

Same as in Trados - TagEditor vs. Workbench.

William TAHIL
William TAHIL  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fair Enough on that one Feb 10, 2009

Dear Roman

Yes I can understand that one, it's not the major problem if there ae tags. But even so e.g. a simple two word segment that's identical in 6.0 keeps hitting "failure to leverage" from the memory.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
rule number one for software: Feb 10, 2009

Unless you enjoy being on the bleeding edge, never use the first release of a new program for operational activities. Wait until it has been out for a while and the major bugs have been fixed.

Aside from this, it sounds like the author(s) of version 6 (which I understand is essentially a new product, i.e. a total rewrite in terms of programming) have not given enough attention to maintaining consistency with previous versions. If this is true, it's a great pity.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
They didn't even bother to provide a detailed manual Feb 10, 2009

Ken Cox wrote:

Aside from this, it sounds like the author(s) of version 6 (which I understand is essentially a new product, i.e. a total rewrite in terms of programming) have not given enough attention to maintaining consistency with previous versions. If this is true, it's a great pity.

It's true, there IS a manual, however it is far from explaining every step and not even the most important ones like many competitors do, and as you say, it is quite different from Wordfast Classic. Maybe it's my fault, but despite different attempts, I have not been able to use this software so far.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-02-10 15:55 GMT]

ElleC
ElleC  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Stuck with it... Feb 10, 2009

I bought WF at the ATA Conference; it was sold to me w/o their telling me it was still in the Beta stage. Now it just sits on my computer b/c there's no training for it, the user manual is almost nonexistant and there's no one available to help me with it. Good times!

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:41
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
If WF 6 is not good to you, Feb 10, 2009

use WF 5. It’s well-documented.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
WFC & WFP Feb 10, 2009

ElleC wrote:

I bought WF at the ATA Conference; it was sold to me w/o their telling me it was still in the Beta stage. Now it just sits on my computer b/c there's no training for it, the user manual is almost nonexistant and there's no one available to help me with it. Good times!

There *is* a dedicated list for WF Pro (no longer called 6)
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WF_PRO/

If you purchased Wordfast, you must have both versions (they are sold as a bundle now), so why not give WF Classic a try?

Support for Wordfast Pro and Wordfast Classic is available Feb 11, 2009

ElleC wrote:

Hi ElleC,

There is support available for both Wordfast Pro and Wordfast Classic available through the hotline : http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=aftersale

Additionally, the Wordfast Pro help is internal in the system->Help->Online pages. We also have several training videos available from www.wordfast.com/support_learning.html and Wordfast has been holding webinars on a frequent basis for those who reach out to us to get more training information. We have already held one Proz specific Webinar and are holding another one next week.

Regards,
Hillary

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
To sum it up... Feb 11, 2009

WF Pro is cheap. And I mean CHEAP.
And the funniest thing about it is its licensing policy. That's a real joke. Uhm, a bad one...

[Upraveno: 2009-02-11 19:35 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 6 - Riddled with Bugs

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »