Wordfast 6.0: TXML file conversions and other formating issues.
Thread poster: Angus Peacock
Angus Peacock
Angus Peacock  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:43
Chinese to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2009

I have only recently started using Wordfast which but have recently ecountered problems since taking on a new client who demands Trados compatibility.

Can anybody help to resolve the following problems:

1. Translated word documents: How do I convert the WF .txml file to .xml OR .txt? If this is not possible, what format should I receive from the client to ensure that I can return a compatible format. (The WF help site seems to suggest that conversion directly from .txml
... See more
I have only recently started using Wordfast which but have recently ecountered problems since taking on a new client who demands Trados compatibility.

Can anybody help to resolve the following problems:

1. Translated word documents: How do I convert the WF .txml file to .xml OR .txt? If this is not possible, what format should I receive from the client to ensure that I can return a compatible format. (The WF help site seems to suggest that conversion directly from .txml to .xml or .txt is not possible ... I am hoping that this is not true.)

2. When I have completed translating a document, WF does one or both of the following:

a) leaves a large amount of the source language at the end of the saved translated document as though it has not been translated.
b) changes layouts and formats, particularly when there are tables in the document, to the extent that I have to spend several hours reformatting the document. In this case the software jumbles up tables which contain technical data (critical information) and will drop text and titles from subsequent pages into table fields.

These two problems are not only frustrating but for me, essentially render Wordfast 6.0 as non-usable and a non-cost effective option.

Many thanks in advance for your support.

Angus
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:43
French to English
Trados compatibility Feb 13, 2009

If your main priority is to be in a position to provide Trados compatible files to your client, then you really need to be using WF Classic (version 5.x) and not WF Pro 6.

It's not clear to me what exactly you have to provide to your client - do they want bilingual files (not cleaned up)? Do you have to send the TM back to them?

AFAIK, the current WF Pro version does not have any "export TM to TMX feature". I have just started playing around with WF Pro, and noticed t
... See more
If your main priority is to be in a position to provide Trados compatible files to your client, then you really need to be using WF Classic (version 5.x) and not WF Pro 6.

It's not clear to me what exactly you have to provide to your client - do they want bilingual files (not cleaned up)? Do you have to send the TM back to them?

AFAIK, the current WF Pro version does not have any "export TM to TMX feature". I have just started playing around with WF Pro, and noticed that you can open up the TM as it's in .txt format. I did this the other day and at a quick glance, the header and format looked similar to WFC TMs.

I'm not positive, but I suppose TMs created within WF Pro can also be used in WF Classic? If you need to send the TM back to your client, try to open it up in WFC and export to TMX, or else, use the WF2TMX converter that can be found on the WFC yahoo group files section.

Caveat - I have never tried this and have no idea if it will work. This *may* help you to provide a TMX file to your client, if you need to do so. Always work on copies of your files in case anything goes wrong.

If your client wants uncleaned files, you may be out of luck as far as WFP is concerned.

Now assuming my above theory that WFP TM's can be opened in WFC is correct, you might be able to retranslate your file with WFC by using the TM. Then you would be able to send the bilingual file back.

A note about Trados compatibility - segmentation rules may vary between CAT tools. As I understand it, clients who want total compatibility will send files that have been pre-segmented in Trados, for translation in Wordfast.

Question - was your source document a .doc or something else? I'm wondering why you would want to convert your txml to xml or txt, if it was originally a .doc? Unless it was a ttx file to begin with?

Also you should know that you can contact Wordfast support, or post about your questions in the Wordfast Pro yahoo group.

Edited for coherency

[Edited at 2009-02-13 11:57 GMT]
Collapse

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:43
Trados Compatibility Feb 13, 2009

Hi Angus,

I would like to answer your questions below and clarify some of the points that Lori brought up.

1. As Lori mentioned, if your client is working with Trados and you are trying to deliver an unclean file to them, you will need to use Wordfast Classic to translate the file. Wordfast Pro does not have the ability to produce a Trados unclean file, instead it produces bilingual TXML.

With the purchase of a Wordfas
... See more
Hi Angus,

I would like to answer your questions below and clarify some of the points that Lori brought up.

1. As Lori mentioned, if your client is working with Trados and you are trying to deliver an unclean file to them, you will need to use Wordfast Classic to translate the file. Wordfast Pro does not have the ability to produce a Trados unclean file, instead it produces bilingual TXML.

With the purchase of a Wordfast License, you are entitled to install and use both Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro interchangably. The TMs created by both WFP and WFC are fully interchangable.

Also, we have a TMX import/export feature in our next WFP service release, which is scheduled for next week.

2. For your document issue with the untranslated text, please contact [email protected] and we will help you troubleshoot.

It’s possible that this issue is likely caused by placeables in the target segment not matching the placeables in the source segment. We have produced a video entitled "Working with placeables" that should help you with these issues . You can view the video by clicking here http://www.wordfast.com/support_learning.html .

Sincerely,

Kristyna Marrero
Director of Sales & Marketing
Wordfast LLC
Collapse

sithanem
sithanem  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:43
Arabic to English
+ ...
Wordfast or Trados Feb 14, 2009

I am in the process of buying CAT tool. I have used such tools in basic forms. What would be your thoughts on buying Wordfast or Trados. After thouroughly searching and trying to understand both products I can see that the main difference is the pricing which is rather significant. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you
Sima Nabulsi
[email protected]

Angus Peacock
Angus Peacock  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:43
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 17, 2009

Thank you for these responses and the links.

This seems to clear up the confusion.

Angus

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Chine, tang, snath Feb 17, 2009

sithanem wrote:
What would be your thoughts on buying Wordfast or Trados.

It used to be possible to get the answer by Googling for trados, wordfast, chine, tang and snath, but I can't find that comparison now. Does anyone know the URL? In it, Trados is represented by a lawn trimmer, and Wordfast Classic is represented by a scythe. I guess Wordfast Professional would be a scythe without a snath.

Yelena Pestereva
Yelena Pestereva  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi everybody. Feb 17, 2009

Is there such a thing as Wordfast 7? My client wants me to use Wordfast 7 but I didn't find on the web.

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
broken link Feb 17, 2009

found it this time

http://catcompare.narod.ru/

[Edited at 2009-02-17 12:36 GMT]

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
No Feb 17, 2009

Yelena Pestereva wrote:

Is there such a thing as Wordfast 7? My client wants me to use Wordfast 7 but I didn't find on the web.

not yet

Lorena Ribechini
Lorena Ribechini
Argentina
Local time: 03:43
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How to convert txml files into Word files Jun 25, 2010

There is a great tool developed in ASP.NET which allows you to convert Wordfast files (.txml) into Word files. It helps you to proof your own material. You can use your customized spell checker with great results!

http://www.informatica911.com.ar/Tools/ExportTxml.aspx

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:43
English to Thai
+ ...
Thai spelling etc. for WordFast Pro Aug 14, 2010

Lorena Ribechini wrote:
There is a great tool developed in ASP.NET which allows you to convert Wordfast files (.txml) into Word files. It helps you to proof your own material. You can use your customized spell checker with great results!
http://www.informatica911.com.ar/Tools/ExportTxml.aspx

Spell checking is a great benefit for spelling tools not yet supported by WFP e.g. Thai. Good points of Word make using the development-ongoing WFP easier.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 08:43
English to Arabic
MS Word Spelling Check in Wordfast Pro Aug 15, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Spell checking is a great benefit for spelling tools not yet supported by WFP e.g. Thai. Good points of Word make using the development-ongoing WFP easier.

Dear Soonthon and All Colleagues,

To use your MS Word spell checker in Wordfast 2.3 and later versions, please go to Edit menu > Preferences > Spelling > Microsoft Office Spellcheck. You can also select: check spelling as you type. During the translation, press F7 to correct spelling errors.

You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional 2.4.0.1 available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:43
English to Thai
+ ...
Updated WFP Aug 16, 2010

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
To use your MS Word spell checker in Wordfast 2.3 and later versions, please go to Edit menu > Preferences > Spelling > Microsoft Office Spellcheck. You can also select: check spelling as you type. During the translation, press F7 to correct spelling errors.
You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional 2.4.0.1 available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

Many thanks. Yasmin, you respond to delicate users' request by proving the updated software very quickly.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 6.0: TXML file conversions and other formating issues.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »