Thread poster: Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:29
Dutch to French
+ ...
Feb 26, 2009

I'm offered a very interesting job, but the files are in format XLIFF (which apparently Trados handles).
As I am working only with Wf, and find Trados not very user-friendly, I wondered if the new WFP handles XLIFF ?

I can't find anything on the Wf site about the formats it handles.

Tks in advance
Elisabeth

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
XLIFF = XML Feb 26, 2009

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen wrote:

As I am working only with Wf, and find Trados not very user-friendly, I wondered if the new WFP handles XLIFF ?

Hi Elisabeth,

No idea about WFP (don't use it) but the WF 5.x series handle XLIFF without a question or problem. Just do as its an XML file.

Hoping its help.

Best regards,

Olivier

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hummmm, never opened an xml in Wf... Feb 26, 2009

Hi Olivier

I'm afraid I never opened an xml in Wordfast in my life... Could you give me some indications on how to do so? When I click on the document to open it, it says Windows doesn't recognize the extension...

Tks
Elisabeth
Mac/XP via Paralels/Wf5.53q

Olivier MANESSE wrote:

No idea about WFP (don't use it) but the WF 5.x series handle XLIFF without a question or problem. Just do as its an XML file.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Just open it in Word Feb 26, 2009

I'm afraid I never opened an xml in Wordfast in my life... Could you give me some indications on how to do so? When I click on the document to open it, it says Windows doesn't recognize the extension...

If your extension is not xml, just change the extension to xml. Then open the document with Word. Should be OK, or ?

Then start the translation with WordFast as usual.

A message box is then telling you the following : "This apperars to be an HTML, SGML, XML or MIF file. This document must be tagged before translation".

Just click on Yes and do the same as it were a DOC file. Done !

As a sample (not sure you get the same structure), and as a former ProZ.com french localizator, you should have sommething like the following :

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?

xliff version="1.1"
file source-language="eng" target-language="fra" datatype="plaintext" original="xxxx.xliff"
header
phase-group
phase phase-name="_faq_conferences" date="2008-10-22 13:08:46" type="all_in_area" stage="1" group="text_site" company-name="ProZ.com" contact-name="xxxx" contact-email="[email protected]"
note>Do Your Best Thanks for colaborating!/note
/phase
/phase-group
/header
body
trans-unit id="accommodation_h"
source xml:lang="eng" version="1">What about accommodation?/source
target xml:lang="fra" version="1">What about accommodation?/target
/trans-unit
trans-unit id="accommodation_t"
source xml:lang="eng" version="1"In most cases, the main conference venue is a hotel that will accommodate the majority of conference attendees. If that is not possible, rooms will reserved at nearby hotels.

An attempt will also be made to advise on budget accommodation in the vicinity of the conference venue.

Conference attendees will need to make their own booking and payment arrangements with the hotel of their choice./source
target xml:lang="fra" version="1">In most cases, the main conference venue is a hotel that will accommodate the majority of conference attendees. If that is not possible, rooms will reserved at nearby hotels.

An attempt will also be made to advise on budget accommodation in the vicinity of the conference venue.

Conference attendees will need to make their own booking and payment arrangements with the hotel of their choice./target
/trans-unit

What is here fun is that you will have twice the source and twice the target segments using Wordfast. Never mind, just translate the target. Then clean up, no more prob. If the resulting file (cleaned) is with a DOC extension, just change the extension to XML.

Regards,

Olivier

PS - Après avoir posté, j'ai vu que les balises d'ouverture et de fermeture < et > ne permettaient pas d'afficher le code. J'ai supprimé ces balises.

[Modifié le 2009-02-26 13:26 GMT]

[Modifié le 2009-02-26 13:28 GMT]

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works Feb 27, 2009

Hi Olivier

It works as you said, I just hope they won't have any problems afterwards, with the doc changed back into XLIFF...

Merci, et bon weekend !
Elisabeth

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Thanks a lot for the feedback ! Feb 27, 2009

It works as you said, I just hope they won't have any problems afterwards, with the doc changed back into XLIFF...

Very glad to read You and having helped. I'm quite sure You will not have any problem afterwards. If any, do not hesitate to contact me here or privately.

Bon ouique également, et amitiés

Olivier

[Modifié le 2009-02-27 17:55 GMT]

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:29
Does Wf support XLIFF? Mar 9, 2009

I'm offered a very interesting job, but the files are in format XLIFF (which apparently Trados handles).

I can't find anything on the Wf site about the formats it handles.

Tks in advance
Elisabeth

Hi Elisabeth,

There are plans for WF Pro to support XLIFF later this year, most likely by the end of the 3rd quarter.

In regards to file formats WF Pro currently supports, they can be found on the second page of the Wordfast Pro product brief (http://www.wordfast.com/docs/WFProductbrief_60.pdf) under "enhanced file format support."

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a little late for me ;-( Mar 10, 2009

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

There are plans for WF Pro to support XLIFF later this year, most likely by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Tks, this is good news for the future !

Unfortunately not for this job, it starts in 2 weeks...

Elisabeth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Wf support XLIFF ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »