Mobile menu

Is it possible to pretranslate a file with an empty Wordfast TM?
Thread poster: Olaf Reibedanz

Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 04:31
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 10, 2009

Hi everybody,

I am not a Wordfast user, but I would like to know if it is possible, with Wordfast, to create an empty TM
and to pretranslate the source file with that empty TM.

I am asking this question because I could then import that pretranslated file into Deja Vu - by filtering out the (hidden) source text - and create an unclean translation from it, without having to work with Wordfast. The procedure works flawlessly with Trados/Deja Vu and I was hoping it would also work with Wordfast/Deja Vu.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Olaf

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:31
French to German
+ ...
Why not? Mar 10, 2009

As long as DV accepts the TMX format, there should be no problem. Just create a new TM, set source and target, pretranslate your text and then "export TM as TMX" with the Tools option>Special filters of the Wordfast editor.

HTH

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-03-10 17:41 GMT]

Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 04:31
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found another solution Mar 19, 2009

Thanks Laurent! What I did was this:

1) Pretranslate the source file with Trados, ticking the option "Segment unknown sentences"
2) Import that file into Deja Vu, ticking the option "Ignore hidden text", and translating it in Deja Vu

The result: a bilingual file whose segments can be opened and edited with Wordfast (and with Trados). The client didn't even notice that I hadn't used Wordfast.

Best,

Olaf

[Edited at 2009-03-19 22:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to pretranslate a file with an empty Wordfast TM?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs