Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:39
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Mar 13, 2009

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced this: A client (agency) sent me feedback from the end client pointing out two serious errors in a translation that I had done using Wordfast Classic 5.53q (client uses Trados).

It turned out that in two places fuzzy matches that I had altered to 100% matches in my translation had reverted to fuzzy matches after I delivered my translation, i.e. the errors are not in the copy of the file I sent (unclean) to the agency.

Has anyone experienced this problem, and does anyone have any idea how it might have happened? TIA.

Anna

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:39
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
If they used Trados... Mar 13, 2009

I am not familiar with Wordfast.
If the client used Trados, then there is only one thing I can imagine:
The client has a TM (that does not contain your recent translations) and the sentences that showed up on your side as fuzzy matches were 100% matches on the client side, and when they did the cleanup, they had the "Update document" button set instead of "Update TM" under the "Changed translation" section.

How is it possible that a sentence shows up as 100% at the client, but for you it appears as a fuzzy?
Well, it could be because you have different penalties set up, or it could be simply due to the fact that you used Wordfast and they used Trados. Also, if there are two 100% matches in the TM, that usually causes a penalty and shows the segment as fuzzy. Perhaps the TM you used had more translations and perhaps you had two or more 100% matches. You selected the correct one, and put that into the document, but when you sent it back to the client, his TM only had one 100% match, and the instruction he set under "Changed translation" (see above) kicked in, in other words, the old translation from the TM was copied into the document, overwriting your modified translation.

There is one thing I don't understand, though. Did you only send the uncleaned file to the client?
It is always a good idea to clean the file yourself, and do a final check on the clean file to discover any possible errors. Plus, there is a chance the client messes up the cleanup (it seems that is what happened this time), and it is better preventing the error getting to the end client.

[Módosítva: 2009-03-13 03:35 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:39
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
No matter what they use... Trados or WF... Mar 13, 2009

I think it is only through versioning....

Keep to the following procedure:
- get the latest possible TM before you start the job,
- reorganise this TM before you start the job (to make sure it has no errors),
- ask for penalty values if they are not standard (not those set by default) -- sometimes it is vital,
- translate,
- check spelling,
- make a copy of the finished job, zip it, and keep it,
- clean-up the job into the TM you have,
- deliver uncleaned files and (optionally) the latest TM (exported to tmx),
- remind the client to clean-up to update the TM s/he has.
This way all amended TUs will be updated in the client's TM (now outdated), as they have the same IDs.

[Редактировалось 2009-03-13 07:13 GMT]

United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Checking the option to Update the TM is crucial!!! Mar 13, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
- remind the client to clean-up to update the TM s/he has.
This way all amended TUs will be updated in the client's TM (now outdated), as they have the same IDs.

Yes, this works, unless they have the pesky "Update document" option checked instead of the "Update TM" when they do the cleanup. (And that can cause the problem mentioned in the original posting).
So, one more step to add: make sure the client does the cleanup with the "Update TM" option.

Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:39
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 16, 2009

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I'll pass them on to the PM and cross my fingers that this annoying problem never occurs again. BTW, Katalin, I don't find it necessary to clean the file to do the final check. I just disable the "show hidden text" option so that only the translated text is visible.
Anna

United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Final check without cleaning Mar 16, 2009

Anna,
I understand that you can check the text by hiding the tags and the source text.
However, the Trados clean-up process can mess up your text pretty good, especially if it is a Word file (Tageditor TTX is safer, although that is not perfect either). If text/formatting corruption has never happened to you, you can consider yourself lucky.

A quick search here in the forums or in the SDL Trados support site's Knowledgebase will give you an idea what can go wrong. My own past experience includes: Fonts completely messed up, hyperlinks corrupted, spacing issues, entries in tables not cleaned, translated paragraph got switched to hidden state, cleanup process crashing due to nested tables, etc.

I always run the cleanup, to make sure it runs first of all, and to check all these above mentioned issues.

I know you mentioned you use WordFast, and hopefully that does not have such problems, but if you deliver an uncleaned file and your client cleans it with Trados, such errors can occur at their end.

You are much safer delivering a cleaned and finished file, which they can deliver to the client, and in addition to that, you can give them the uncleaned file for the purpose of updating their own TM (but not using the cleaned file for delivery). This is a simple process adjustment that can save a lot of headaches for both of you.

[Módosítva: 2009-03-16 15:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reappearance of fuzzy matches.

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs