Wordfast 6: Correction of source file possible?
Thread poster: Gertrud Karl

Gertrud Karl  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:56
Dutch to German
Mar 19, 2009

Hello,

I am a beginning user of Wordfast and I am translating a huge Excel document in Wordfast6. Now that I am halfway the translation I discoverd that the client made a mistake in the source file (products with the wrong descriptions - source text must be changed).

My question is: Can the source segments be modified in Wordfast6? Or do I have to modify the original Excel document and than start the translation process all over (lots of work)?

Maybe someone knows how to solve this problem. I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks. Gertrud

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Not possible Mar 19, 2009

AFAIK, it's not possible to modify the source file in WFP (as you can with WFC). Once it has been imported as a txml file, you can't change it.

The workaround is to modify the excel file, reimport and then auto-translate from the TM.

Of course you should charge extra accordingly, because the mistake is on the client's end! I would probably set an hourly rate for the time spent fixing things up.

PS: we are all beginners on WFP

[Edited at 2009-03-19 12:18 GMT]

Dutch to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Lori Mar 19, 2009

Thanks Lori, cheers. Gertrud

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
"Can the source segments be modified in Wordfast6?" Mar 19, 2009

Hello Gertrud,

My question is: Can the source segments be modified in Wordfast6?

Yes. But do it in the source text, not through the Wf.

You can do a comparison with preview of two files: if in Ms Word: tools menu. Do use the preview feature, in order to see the nett differences between two files. My MS Word has another GUI language, sorry.

Then extract the new content and translate it as an extra internal file in your source folder.

Then insert the new client's file into the source folder and translate it. You should have the content from your small extra internal file, already translated, or pre-translate it once again.

That's it.

Dragomir

Dutch to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 19, 2009

Thank you Dragomir

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 6: Correction of source file possible?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums