https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/130726-wordfast_pro%3A_error_modifying_a_preference.html

Wordfast Pro: Error modifying a preference
Thread poster: irina savescu
irina savescu
irina savescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 16:04
English to Romanian
Mar 20, 2009

I'm still experimenting with Wordfast Pro and I just got this error message when loading a .doc file:
Error modifying a preference
change listener.
Reason: Invalid thread access

What I was doing before that error message popped up:
created new project, created new TM, converted excel glossary to txt (UTF-8 encoding) then imported it as a new glossary and then I opened the Word file to be translated. That's when I got that error message.

I tried getting some information on this from the online manual/help but I couldn't find anything similar to my problem.

Does it look like a bug or like someone has no idea what she is doing in WF Pro?

[Edited at 2009-03-20 04:49 GMT]

Alejandro Moreno-Ramos
Alejandro Moreno-Ramos  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:04
Member (2008)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Doc too complex? Mar 20, 2009

From my point of view, it looks like a bug.

I had once a similar problem, although I do not remember the exact error message...

After some research, my conclusion was that the file I was trying to open was too big/complex. I solved it by copying all source text in a new document as plain text.

Also, try updating to the last available version, it is true that the first version had many bugs.

irina savescu
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try upgrading Mar 20, 2009

It was a simple Word file, 12 pages long and the only complexity I can think of is that the text was mostly in Japanese with some paragraphs in English so it may have been something with the encoding or with the fonts. Apart from that it had no tables, no images, no macros, nothing.
Thank you for your advice. I'll just look for a newer version of WF Pro and try one more time.

New Version? Mar 25, 2009

irina savescu wrote:

It was a simple Word file, 12 pages long and the only complexity I can think of is that the text was mostly in Japanese with some paragraphs in English so it may have been something with the encoding or with the fonts. Apart from that it had no tables, no images, no macros, nothing.
Thank you for your advice. I'll just look for a newer version of WF Pro and try one more time.

Hi Irinia,

Are you still experiencing this error while using Wordfast Pro 2.1.9?

Best,
Hillary

irina savescu
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
yep Mar 25, 2009

I really wanted to title my reply with nope but couldn't do that. I was initially using version 2.1.8 and today I tried the exact same step with the same documents in version 2.1.9.1 and I got the same error message.
I've resolved to send Ms. Marrero an email message with more details and screenshots and hopefully it'll get fixed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro: Error modifying a preference

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »