Expanding two segments in Wordfast
Thread poster: linadia
linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 30, 2009

Hello,

I am having a problem expanding two successive segments in Wordfast. I did that before, but for some reason, it is not working now. Segmentation does not seem to be based on punctuation marks any more, because Wordfast is segmenting the sentence spontaneously and not based on the punctuation marks designed in the setup.

Any suggestions are much appreciated

Thank you
Nadia

teddd76
teddd76
Local time: 00:23
English to French
+ Mar 30, 2009

Just press on the "expand segment" button on the WF toolbar (+) (to shrink the segment press on "shrink segment" button (-).

If that doesn't work, just copy/ paste the rest of the sentence in the segment you're translating. I hope this helps.

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I changed paragraph marks Apr 1, 2009

Hi Teddd,

The problem is solved when I changed places of paragraph marks where they should not have been.
Thank you for your reply and I also tried at first to copy and paste the rest of the sentence.

Best regards,
Nadia

DML (X)
DML (X)
Ireland
Local time: 23:23
English to Irish
Same Problem Apr 7, 2009

I am having the same problem, but what do you mean by paragraph marks?

Regards
David Mc L.

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paragraph marks Apr 8, 2009

Hi David,

The paragraph marks, as far as I know, is the mark made when you hit "enter" to start a new paragraph. You can show or hide those marks from the button on the tool bar in Word.

Try changing how paragraphs are marked and see if the problem is solved. I did that, as there were paragraph marks where they shouid not. When I removed them, by hitting "backspace", things went to normal, as far as segmentation is concerned.

Nadia

lestertrad
lestertrad
Local time: 00:23
French to English
+ ...
Why and when does Wordfast insert paragraph marks? Jun 9, 2010

I too was unable to expand a segment (beyond an initial followed by a period in a name). I checked the original file and found that Wordfast itself had *inserted a paragraph mark* after the period, thus causing the problem.

Why does it do this?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Expanding two segments in Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »