Recovering unclean texts
Thread poster: Tony Walters

Tony Walters  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:55
French to English
Apr 2, 2009

Using Wordfast 5.52 with Word 2000. I need to recover the unclean version of a text already translated with Wordfast. I have the source file and the cleaned up target file and the relevant TM contains all the translated segments. However when I use Tools>Translate on the source file Wordfast just tells me that the document is already segmented and goes no further. How can I recreate an unclean file without having to go through the entire document again manually, segment by segment?

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Two possible solutions Apr 2, 2009

Maybe the file you're trying to translate still contains the segmented text. Check with Ctrl+Comma.

Maybe you still have the BAK file that was automatically created at clean-up time.

Good luck,
Gerard

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to Gerard Apr 2, 2009

Thanks for your quick reply Gerard. Your suggestion of using Tools>Translate on the bak file has produced an unclean file OK, but both source and target segments are now the same. Both contain the target text. I clearly have a deeper problem - it looks like a corrupt TM brought about by updating the TM after cleaning up a document that had already been cleaned up, if you see what I mean. A slip of the mouse in the wee small hours... Thanks again for your help.

Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 21:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Three options Apr 2, 2009

The first one is, as Gerard has suggested, to check the source file to see if it is segmented or has occasional segments. Ctrl + comma (,) will show the hidden text.

The second one is to start translating and use Shift+Ctrl+PageDown (a shortcut for Auto translate while 100% match). This will translate the document automatically segment by segment for as long as Wordfast can locate 100% matches in your TM. That does not guarantee that all the 100% matches will be recovered (I think it depends on the system and WF version). I have tried that several times and got about 7 or 8 out of 10 of 100% matches recovered (I use WF 5.51). The rest you will have to find and insert manually.

The third one is to use PlusTools to align source and target, create a fresh small TM out of it and then use it to translate the source. Aligning does take time and it's plenty of manual work. Use it unless you are sure that the TM has the latest versions of all the required segments.

Also, I understand from your last post that you do have the bak file. The bak is already an unclean file you need - unless the TM was updated after the initial clean up (that does not necessarily make a TM corrupt). Use Ctrl + comma to see the hidden text.

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Recovering unclean texts. Problem solved. Apr 6, 2009

Dear Marina,
Thank you for your very complete reply. I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back to you before. In fact, a check of the TM found that it wasn't corrupt (or not very) so I was able to use the Wordfast "Translate while 100% match" function to get through almost the entire document without a stop. Et voilà, problem solved and job done.
I will however take a closer look at your Plus Tools solution and keep it 'sous le coude' as the French say. You never know when it might prove invaluable...
Many thanks again,
Tony Walters

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recovering unclean texts

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs