Wordfast - how do I stop page from shifting up automatically?
Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2009

Wordfast (or maybe Word, I'm not sure) has an annoying habit of automatically shifting the page up so that the source text is not visible, with the top of the page being in line with the top of the target box is.
This means that I have to manually move the page back up again.
This happens about every three or four segments.
Does anyone know why this is and, more importantly, how I can stop it from happening?
Many thanks

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:34
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
You can't Apr 2, 2009

I suppose you're always working in Normal View, using Print Layout View only complicates matters even more. Wordfast really does all it can to stay centered on your screen. I've tested several Word macros to help Wordfast improve but I have ditched them all after one or two days. Believe me, with all the variables, like tables, memory matches and for reference only boxes popping up and closing, there's no better way.

Cheers,
Gerard

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 3, 2009

oh, well that's a shame - a bug in WF, then, I guess.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
C

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Reduce the page zoom Apr 3, 2009

Apologies if this is too obvious to mention, but sometimes I find it helps if you reduce the zoom on the page. Documents sometimes arrive as 120% magnified, whereas they can be viewed perfectly well at 100% or less, especially if the font is big. Just playing around with this can help this problem because you can fit more on a page. This assumes your screen is big enough in the first place, of course!) I also prefer to view the file in page layout rather than normal (I think you can adjust this ... See more
Apologies if this is too obvious to mention, but sometimes I find it helps if you reduce the zoom on the page. Documents sometimes arrive as 120% magnified, whereas they can be viewed perfectly well at 100% or less, especially if the font is big. Just playing around with this can help this problem because you can fit more on a page. This assumes your screen is big enough in the first place, of course!) I also prefer to view the file in page layout rather than normal (I think you can adjust this in the Wordfast set-up) and find this makes a difference too.

All the best,

Claire
Collapse

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank, Claire Apr 3, 2009

Hi Claire
Thanks very much, I'll try that.
Actually, I am greedy - I have TWO screens so it's not a question of lack of space! LOL
Will give your suggestions a go.
Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Two screens too Apr 3, 2009

Yes, I have two screens too - I hate it if I have to work on my laptop and I'm limited to just the one screen. I use the other screen for my reference files, the Wf companions, internet research.... can't imagine how I managed without! Still, it can be useful to make the document zoom slightly smaller if it means you fit more segments on a page. Don't know what version of Wf you're using, but the version I'm on (5.52zd) automatically hides the unclean text once you've closed each segment, so the... See more
Yes, I have two screens too - I hate it if I have to work on my laptop and I'm limited to just the one screen. I use the other screen for my reference files, the Wf companions, internet research.... can't imagine how I managed without! Still, it can be useful to make the document zoom slightly smaller if it means you fit more segments on a page. Don't know what version of Wf you're using, but the version I'm on (5.52zd) automatically hides the unclean text once you've closed each segment, so the whole document looks "clean", whereas you used to have to press Control + , to achieve that. That certainly makes it easier to handle, so it might be worth upgrading to a newer version if yours is older.

All the best,

Claire
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast - how do I stop page from shifting up automatically?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »