Mobile menu

Transfering setups to new computer
Thread poster: Richard Robinson

Richard Robinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:05
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Apr 7, 2009

I've just bought a new desktop to supplement/replace my old laptop. I've copied all my work into the equivalent location on the new computer, so all my translation memories and glossaries are in the "same" place (D:/Documents....etc) as the were in the old one. But somewhere in the old machine must be the wordfast ".ini" files, which save all the various setups with the glossary and TM locations. Can I just copy and paste them across from a USB memory stick? And where are they anyway?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Robinson  Identity Verified
Hungarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
found it Apr 7, 2009

Actually I've just found them, they are in:

C:\Documents and Settings\(name)\Application Data\Word\STARTUP

It remains to be seen whether just copying and pasting them works.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Relicense Apr 7, 2009

Richard Robinson wrote:
Actually I've just found them, they are in:
C:\Documents and Settings\(name)\Application Data\Word\STARTUP
It remains to be seen whether just copying and pasting them works.

Copying them will keep your settings intact, but since this is a new computer, Wordfast won't recognise your computer and hence it won't recognise you, and to re-introduce yourself to Wordfast you'd have to relicense it on the Wordfast web site. If you bought Wordfast less than 3 years ago, relicensing should be free. If not, well... then your licence has expired anyway and you need to buy another.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transfering setups to new computer

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs