Mobile menu

Wordfast forgets terms
Thread poster: Anne Seerup

Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 05:52
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 27, 2003

It seems my Wordfast is getting a little senile - when I reopen the document I am translating the TM is keeps giving the wrong suggestions or no suggestions at all, even though the term has occurred about a 100 times before. The TM document is growing steadily and when I check, all the terms are there. Is there any explanation or solution for this as it is rather annoying? I am using the licensed version.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
English to French
Details? Aug 28, 2003

Anne Seerup wrote:

It seems my Wordfast is getting a little senile - when I reopen the document I am translating the TM is keeps giving the wrong suggestions or no suggestions at all, even though the term has occurred about a 100 times before. The TM document is growing steadily and when I check, all the terms are there. Is there any explanation or solution for this as it is rather annoying? I am using the licensed version.


Before I answer that one, I would like to point out that I don't appreciate these kind of titles, "Wordfast forgets..." "Wordfast can't handle..." "Wordfast doesn't recognize..." because, for the most part what is hapening is simply that the person posting doesn't really know how to use the software.

Something along the line of "Is Wordfast forgetting terms?" would be more appropriate, since you apparently don't know what is hapenning.

There seems to be a little confusion, when you say "forgets terms" and "translation memory". Translation memories are made of full segments, not just terms. It would help if you could give an real example of something that Wordfast forgets.

If matching is the problem, you can try to reorganize your TM. If your document is presegmented, make sure "writebettermatch" is enabled in PB. If you are talking about terminology recognition of glossary terms, make sure your glossaries are sorted and QC enabled. Also make sure you have the last version.

Your explanation of the problem is too vague to give you the right solution.

Here, Wordfast ain't perfect either, but it's working pretty damm good. So please explain exactly what you mean, give examples and detail your set-up (Windows? Mac? Linux? Word 2000? Word 2002? language? Wordfast version (ie: Wf 4.20 build 44n)...

Cheers,
Sylvain


Direct link Reply with quote
 

HRiley  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's happened to me too Aug 28, 2003

Anne Seerup wrote:

It seems my Wordfast is getting a little senile - when I reopen the document I am translating the TM is keeps giving the wrong suggestions or no suggestions at all, even though the term has occurred about a 100 times before. The TM document is growing steadily and when I check, all the terms are there. Is there any explanation or solution for this as it is rather annoying? I am using the licensed version.


I've had similar problems with Wordfast, although I use an older version. Without changing any of the settings, I'll find that sometimes a 100% match will be suggested for a phrase that I *know* is in the TM, and sometimes it won't. For similar phrases, sometimes several matches are suggested, and sometimes none, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I'd love to know if there's an obvious reason for this...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 05:52
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are you a teacher or are you trying to help out with the problem? Aug 28, 2003

Chill out! We can't all be that stiff in our way of putting things. This is a site for all of us and there is no need to give lectures about how postings should be written and "40 cm errors" etc. When writing "Wordfast is senile" I was only trying to be funny, because that was how it seemed.
Anyway I think I was quite specific about the matter. What happens is that that TUs that are already in the memory worked perfectly well before are not being suggested when reopening Word. I thought that there perhaps would be other users out who had the same problem.

Anyway I have solved it now by reorganising the memory it was just getting too large and messy.



sylver wrote:

Anne Seerup wrote:




It seems my Wordfast is getting a little senile - when I reopen the document I am translating the TM is keeps giving the wrong suggestions or no suggestions at all, even though the term has occurred about a 100 times before. The TM document is growing steadily and when I check, all the terms are there. Is there any explanation or solution for this as it is rather annoying? I am using the licensed version.


Before I answer that one, I would like to point out that I don't appreciate these kind of titles, "Wordfast forgets..." "Wordfast can't handle..." "Wordfast doesn't recognize..." because, for the most part what is hapening is simply that the person posting doesn't really know how to use the software.

Something along the line of "Is Wordfast forgetting terms?" would be more appropriate, since you apparently don't know what is hapenning.

There seems to be a little confusion, when you say "forgets terms" and "translation memory". Translation memories are made of full segments, not just terms. It would help if you could give an real example of something that Wordfast forgets.

If matching is the problem, you can try to reorganize your TM. If your document is presegmented, make sure "writebettermatch" is enabled in PB. If you are talking about terminology recognition of glossary terms, make sure your glossaries are sorted and QC enabled. Also make sure you have the last version.

Your explanation of the problem is too vague to give you the right solution.

Here, Wordfast ain't perfect either, but it's working pretty damm good. So please explain exactly what you mean, give examples and detail your set-up (Windows? Mac? Linux? Word 2000? Word 2002? language? Wordfast version (ie: Wf 4.20 build 44n)...

Cheers,
Sylvain


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:52
German to Croatian
+ ...
Let's keep the professional tone Aug 28, 2003

I think that Sylvain's explanation is not a "lecture", but an exhaustive explanation of a Pro to help the colleague in need.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
English to French
Chilling out ? Aug 29, 2003

Anne Seerup wrote:

Chill out! We can't all be that stiff in our way of putting things. This is a site for all of us and there is no need to give lectures about how postings should be written and "40 cm errors" etc. When writing "Wordfast is senile" I was only trying to be funny, because that was how it seemed.
Anyway I think I was quite specific about the matter. What happens is that that TUs that are already in the memory worked perfectly well before are not being suggested when reopening Word. I thought that there perhaps would be other users out who had the same problem.

Anyway I have solved it now by reorganising the memory it was just getting too large and messy.


My answer might not have been pleasant indeed.

However it always jacks me up to see people who, without trying to understand how things work, immediatly assume that it must be the software's fault.

You will nevertheless note that the way you "finally solved it" is:
A. Explained in my post.
B. Standard practice.
C. There is no such a thing as a TM getting too big, at least before you reach about 400 000 TUs (translation units) and I would be very surprised if you were anywhere near that without knowing more about your software.

And about your earlier post being "specific", I would have thought that my listing of the important data omited in your post would have made you realize that there might be room for improvement in the future.

The main things that HAVE TO BE mentionned are:
1. The Wordfast version. Wordfast improves continually, so even if you find an actual bug, it might very well be already corrected. Thus knowing which version you have, well, you know...
2. What document format? xls? doc?...Is it a tagged file? Is it a Trados pretranslated text? Is it just plain doc file?
3. What happens exactly? (nothing vague here. EXACT description.)
4. What have you done or tryed to solve the problem

Here is a dummy help request to show you what a proper request for help should look like:
Match recognition seems faulty:
(Wf 4.20 b44n, Windows, Word 2002)
Plain vanilla word document, trados presegemented.
Source: The XXX is activated when pressing the green button
TM entry: The XXX is desactivated when pressing the red button
Wordfast doesn't display the match. Fuzzy setting is 75%, "nosubfuzzy" is not active in PB. Lowering fuzzy level doesn't help. Reorganizing doesn't help. Restarting doesn't help. Any ideas?

See? THAT is specific enough for people to start figuring out handlings. You have to remember that when you ask for help, it is expected that you do your best to provide all information, otherwise, lots of people
look at it, don't really understand what it is about and start wondering about bugs that don't exist.

Then, the people trying to help have to dig the data that should have been there in the first place, wasting both the asker and the forum members a lot of time.

You are not the only one not giving enough data, and I am not writing this just because of your specific post but because it is a common mistake. Many people spend time to help debug things (more then you imagine) and it would be nice if askers did provide straight off all the basic information.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
English to French
Thanks Aug 29, 2003

Vesna Zivcic wrote:

I think that Sylvain's explanation is not a "lecture", but an exhaustive explanation of a Pro to help the colleague in need.

Vesna.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast forgets terms

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs