Font size problem in WordFast
Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:09
German to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2003

In the document that I am translating currently, the text in the target box shows up in 10-point font, although the source is in 12-point font. Sometimes the font also changes from Times New Roman to Courier New. Why would this be happening?

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:39
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Have save as copy and resort to horizontal tiling of two files Sep 6, 2003

Take a save as copy of the original document say x as x-translated. Have both the files tiled horizontally one above the other, the x-translated preferably at the top. Just select the first sentence in the top tile, type your translation over it and there should be no font problem. The advantage of this method is that you do not need any printout. Just use the bottom file for reading and overtype the top tile. At the end of the day you will end up with two documents identical in appearance, font... See more
Take a save as copy of the original document say x as x-translated. Have both the files tiled horizontally one above the other, the x-translated preferably at the top. Just select the first sentence in the top tile, type your translation over it and there should be no font problem. The advantage of this method is that you do not need any printout. Just use the bottom file for reading and overtype the top tile. At the end of the day you will end up with two documents identical in appearance, fonts, italics et al, except of course the language. Remember one thing. Do not select bold words along with the non-bold letters, italic letters etc. In that case even the bold and italic words will be retained in their respective places. For example, the German word "Feld" can be easily converted to "field" with minimum number of keystrokes. The total keystrokes will be much less than if you have to type all the words afresh. The numbers can be left untouched and there is no risk of typing the numbers wrongly. Good luck.

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

In the document that I am translating currently, the text in the target box shows up in 10-point font, although the source is in 12-point font. Sometimes the font also changes from Times New Roman to Courier New. Why would this be happening?
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
same happened to me Sep 6, 2003

Sorry I'm unable to help!
I have version 4.20 build 44e running on Word 2000 under Windows XP.
The same happened to me and I went through options and PB commands but couldn't find anything to solve it, because, infact, it does it randomly, only in a few scattered segments, generally in long documents.
I'd appreciate a good hint to solve it as well.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 14:09
German to English
+ ...
This happens in Trados sometimes too.... Sep 6, 2003

Hi Daina!

I work with Trados, not Wordfast, but a problem similar to the one you describe sometimes happens in Trados too. It occurs when the source text hasn't been properly formated by the orginator. It would be so nice if everyone understood the joys of Word formatting, but unfortunately that is not the case.

In Trados I work around this problem by going to the previous translated sentence, highlighting a few characters, clicking that little paintbrush icon on your
... See more
Hi Daina!

I work with Trados, not Wordfast, but a problem similar to the one you describe sometimes happens in Trados too. It occurs when the source text hasn't been properly formated by the orginator. It would be so nice if everyone understood the joys of Word formatting, but unfortunately that is not the case.

In Trados I work around this problem by going to the previous translated sentence, highlighting a few characters, clicking that little paintbrush icon on your Word toolbar (Helen taught me this trick, she learned it from Katy... but that was a long time ago). This icon means copy formatting. Then "brush" over the text you want to reformat.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Alison
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:39
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Sorry, I didn't read the initial posting carefully Sep 7, 2003

It never occurred to me that this was some problem with CAT tool, though in retrospect my excuse looks very feeble. Fact is, the mind did not register it at that time. Sorry.

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Couldn't find the solution either Sep 8, 2003

In my case, I have Version 4.20 Build 31 running on Word 2000/Windows 2000 Pro. (Need to update!) My text was only about 3-4 pages, and every segment was like this. It did have quite a few bulleted lists - wonder if this has anything to do with it. Anyway, I used the paintbrush method and then checked the formatting again after cleaning. This would be a pain, though, with a long doc!

PS No problem, Narasimhan! In fact, the way you describe working is the way I work in most ca
... See more
In my case, I have Version 4.20 Build 31 running on Word 2000/Windows 2000 Pro. (Need to update!) My text was only about 3-4 pages, and every segment was like this. It did have quite a few bulleted lists - wonder if this has anything to do with it. Anyway, I used the paintbrush method and then checked the formatting again after cleaning. This would be a pain, though, with a long doc!

PS No problem, Narasimhan! In fact, the way you describe working is the way I work in most cases also.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found a time saver! Sep 8, 2003

Just found this WordFast shortcut:
Alt + Ctrl + Insert

It copies the style of the source segment to the target segment - quicker than "painting." So at least we have a workaround.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Font size problem in WordFast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »