Settings in Wordfast - fuzzy threshold and term recognition
Thread poster: Anne Seerup

Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 18:53
English to Danish
+ ...
Oct 8, 2003

I am looking for some advice on the settings in Wordfast. After I have been messing with the settings I find that WF does not suggest any fuzzy matches. I have set the threshold to 75%. Also I would like WF to search the TM for expressions but I am not to sure how the settings should be.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:53
English to German
+ ...
What exactly do you mean by "WF searching for expressions"? Oct 8, 2003

Hello Anne,

I found that setting the threshold to 60% returns more results than a fuzzy threshold of 75%. If you are constantly experiencing problems with that, I suggest you reorganize your TM before you use it. I usually get the best results after I have reorganized my TM.

I don't understand what exactly you mean by "WF searching for expressions in a TM"?
Are you referring to the concordance/context search?
Please specify.

Regards,

Sonja

Anne Seerup
Ireland
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think so Oct 8, 2003

Hi Sonia

Yes I think it must be context / concordance. I just want WF to suggest similar expressions and I find that it does not alway do that. Just received at comment from the proof reader that I should be more careful checking the fuzzy matches, and this happened after I had been changing some settings in WF - for the worse.
Also can is there any way I can make it look for particular terms?.

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Hello Anne,

I found that setting the threshold to 60% returns more results than a fuzzy threshold of 75%. If you are constantly experiencing problems with that, I suggest you reorganize your TM before you use it. I usually get the best results after I have reorganized my TM.

I don't understand what exactly you mean by "WF searching for expressions in a TM"?
Are you referring to the concordance/context search?
Please specify.

Regards,

Sonja

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:53
English to German
+ ...
concordance folder Oct 8, 2003

Hi Anne,

the context search can be performed very easy:
Just highlight the word(s) you want WF to look for and press the context icon or Alt+Ctrl+C. It will then search the current TM and all other TMs on request.

As for concordance search:
The concordance search is similar to the context search. It will, however, not only search your TMs, but any kind of document. You have to specify a certain folder, and WF will search all the documents that are in there. Press the concordance icon or Alt+Ctrl+N.

Highlighting certain words:
If I understand you correctly, you have a glossary and you want WF to highlight those words that are already in your glossary? Have you specified any glossaries in WF? If so, WF should automatically highlight any words that are in your glossaries. To view these entries, you have to go to View->Toolbar and activate WFGlossary1, WFGlossary2 and WFGlossary 3 (of course, only if you have 3 glossaries; activate only one if there is only one glossary).

Is that of any help for you?

Kind regards,

Sonja

Anne Seerup
Ireland
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 8, 2003

Thanks a million Sonia, that helped a lot - sometimes I find it quite a hassle reading through the huge manual to find a few function.

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Hi Anne,

the context search can be performed very easy:
Just highlight the word(s) you want WF to look for and press the context icon or Alt+Ctrl+C. It will then search the current TM and all other TMs on request.

As for concordance search:
The concordance search is similar to the context search. It will, however, not only search your TMs, but any kind of document. You have to specify a certain folder, and WF will search all the documents that are in there. Press the concordance icon or Alt+Ctrl+N.

Highlighting certain words:
If I understand you correctly, you have a glossary and you want WF to highlight those words that are already in your glossary? Have you specified any glossaries in WF? If so, WF should automatically highlight any words that are in your glossaries. To view these entries, you have to go to View->Toolbar and activate WFGlossary1, WFGlossary2 and WFGlossary 3 (of course, only if you have 3 glossaries; activate only one if there is only one glossary).

Is that of any help for you?

Kind regards,

Sonja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Settings in Wordfast - fuzzy threshold and term recognition

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs