Jonathan Norris
Jonathan Norris  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 19, 2010

Hello:

I am a new wordfast user on a mac os, and I am encountering this error message when I try to load a tm from a .txt file created on trados. I have searched the forum for a fix, but nothing seems to respond directly to this situation. Does anyone know what is causing this error? How can I load my tm?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:22
French to English
TMX Jan 19, 2010

Hi Jonathan,

Are you using WF Pro or Classic? What version?

It sounds to me like you may have missed a step, first you need to export the Trados TM to TMX format (or have your client or a trusted colleague do it), then you should be able to load it in Wordfast.

If you already did that and I misunderstood your problem, please post the header here so that I can have a closer look.

If you are using WFP, you may need to look further into the langua
... See more
Hi Jonathan,

Are you using WF Pro or Classic? What version?

It sounds to me like you may have missed a step, first you need to export the Trados TM to TMX format (or have your client or a trusted colleague do it), then you should be able to load it in Wordfast.

If you already did that and I misunderstood your problem, please post the header here so that I can have a closer look.

If you are using WFP, you may need to look further into the language codes, as that seems to be a frequent source of TM issues.
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
TM header is invalid Jan 19, 2010

Jonathan Norris wrote:

Hello:

I am a new wordfast user on a mac os, and I am encountering this error message when I try to load a tm from a .txt file created on trados. I have searched the forum for a fix, but nothing seems to respond directly to this situation. Does anyone know what is causing this error? How can I load my tm?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

1) Make a backup of your Trados memory.

2) Download the Trados2TMX application here. This is a many years ago decatalogued tool, but i guess it will do the job.

3) Click on it.

4) Browse for your Trados memory location and select it on the first edit box.

5) Browse for your TMX memory location and give it a name in the second edit box.

6) Select the same original language that is defined on your Trados memory language codes on the first pull down menu.

7) Select the same destination language that is defined on your Trados memory language codes on the second pull down menu.

8) Push the Protect button .

This should generate a correct TMX-memory you may use wit near any CAT tool.

[Editado a las 2010-01-19 19:54 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TM header is invalid Jan 20, 2010

Jonathan Norris wrote:

Hello:

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

Were you able to solve this issue? If not, you can:

a) publish the header and some translation units here as Lori recommended you, so she can see what is the problem with your TMX.

b) you can ask yasmine moslem, a very active wordfast support member for help.

c) ask at the wordfast yahoogroup for help. Yves Champollion (the creator of WF) is very supportive too.

[Editado a las 2010-01-20 18:35 GMT]

Jonathan Norris
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Where do I find the header?

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
Notepad Jan 20, 2010

You can open your TM using Notepad (or whatever similar text editor you have on your mac) and the "header" is the fist line. A normal one looks like this:

%20100119~105756 %User ID,L,L Lori,+A! %TU=00000071 %FR-FR %Wordfast TM v.5.52zz/00 %EN-US %---83395570

And a normal TU looks something like this:

20100119~114846 L 1 FR-FR PREPARATION EN-US IN THE WORKS

You still didn't tell us which version of WF you are using, makes it hard to give furthe
... See more
You can open your TM using Notepad (or whatever similar text editor you have on your mac) and the "header" is the fist line. A normal one looks like this:

%20100119~105756 %User ID,L,L Lori,+A! %TU=00000071 %FR-FR %Wordfast TM v.5.52zz/00 %EN-US %---83395570

And a normal TU looks something like this:

20100119~114846 L 1 FR-FR PREPARATION EN-US IN THE WORKS

You still didn't tell us which version of WF you are using, makes it hard to give further advice! Tell us more about what steps you have done thus far.

Edit - above examples are for a normal Wordfast .txt TM

Here is the same thing from a .tmx TM created within WF (I have no idea if Trados .tmx files look the same...)

Photobucket

[Edited at 2010-01-20 22:24 GMT]
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:22
German to English
+ ...
The header Jan 20, 2010

Jonathan Norris wrote:
Where do I find the header?

Maybe it's at the head of the TM.
The message that the header is invalid means the application (WordFast) started to read the contents of the file that you told it to use as a TM and was unable to interpret it as a valid header. Since you said you created it as a .txt file, it was presumably not a .tmx file beginning with a valid .tmx header. Therefore you should follow the advice about creating a proper .tmx file. You don't need to find the header to solve this problem, but you could try opening the .txt file with a plain-text editor, just to see how it begins.

Oliver

Jonathan Norris
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

You guys are being very helpful.

I am using wordfast pro on a mac os.

Is it possible to convert the .txt into a .tmx on my computer?

[Edited at 2010-01-20 22:23 GMT]

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
convert (Trados) txt to tmx Jan 20, 2010

There are several ways to do it...

- If you have Trados installed on your computer - search forums or read the instructions to find out how to export to TMX from within Trados (I don't use Trados so can't help you there!)

- Get someone else who has Trados to do it for you

- Try the application posted by Pablo, I downloaded it yesterday but haven't tried it yet b/c I don't have any Trados TMs... will keep it handy if I ever get one!

- Not sure i
... See more
There are several ways to do it...

- If you have Trados installed on your computer - search forums or read the instructions to find out how to export to TMX from within Trados (I don't use Trados so can't help you there!)

- Get someone else who has Trados to do it for you

- Try the application posted by Pablo, I downloaded it yesterday but haven't tried it yet b/c I don't have any Trados TMs... will keep it handy if I ever get one!

- Not sure if Olifant can do this or not - also, Olifant won't work on a mac unless you have parellels ...
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TM header is invalid Jan 21, 2010

The file I uploaded yesterday has a new download link for security: http://www.box.net/shared/kgqfgz6iea . But, I am afraid this will run under parallels or bootcamp only as it is intended for windows.

However, I installed WF Pro on my computer and you should be able to export your .txt memory to a.tmx memory, provided your .TXT file is a WF-memory and not a Trados one. They have quite
... See more
The file I uploaded yesterday has a new download link for security: http://www.box.net/shared/kgqfgz6iea . But, I am afraid this will run under parallels or bootcamp only as it is intended for windows.

However, I installed WF Pro on my computer and you should be able to export your .txt memory to a.tmx memory, provided your .TXT file is a WF-memory and not a Trados one. They have quite different internal formats, even both share the same .TXT file extension.

1) Follow the path Translation Memory > New/Select memory

2) Select local on the left menu and push the "Open" button at right.

3) Browse for your .txt memory and select it, so you can see his name at the "Location" edit box.

4) Select the source language from the dropdown menu on the "Source Locale" edit box.

5) Select the target language from the dropdown menu on the "Target Locale" edit box.

(be aware that the language codes of your .txt memory should match exactly the languages you select for your .tmx memory. For example UK-english and US-english have different codes).

6) Push the "OK" button. The message "TM connection etablished succesfully" appear.

7) Push the "OK" button to confirm the message.

8) Click the "Export" button.

9) Browse to the location were you want to save your exported memory in a TMX format, assign it a name and save.

10) Click the "OK" button to confirm.

Now, you should find the exported memory in a TMX format at the location you selected before to save it. If this procedure did not work, I can not help you more and you should ask to the WF-support.

[Editado a las 2010-01-21 02:31 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM header is invalid

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »