Changing language settings (TXML files, TMs, projects)
Thread poster: Alice Klingener
Alice Klingener
Alice Klingener  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:21
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2010

So it's my first project using Wordfast Pro (rather than Classic). The PM has sent me several TXML files, each with a different source and target language pair defined, all of them wrong. Because of the random language pairs, each TXML file I open won't work with the project or TM that I've already started. So my questions are:

1. How to change the languages on a TXML file (and can this be done retroactively, after translation?)
2. How to change the languages on a project retr
... See more
So it's my first project using Wordfast Pro (rather than Classic). The PM has sent me several TXML files, each with a different source and target language pair defined, all of them wrong. Because of the random language pairs, each TXML file I open won't work with the project or TM that I've already started. So my questions are:

1. How to change the languages on a TXML file (and can this be done retroactively, after translation?)
2. How to change the languages on a project retroactively?
3. How to change the languages on a TM retroactively?

Thanks,

Alice Klingener
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 17:21
French to Dutch
+ ...
As far as I understand this system Jan 26, 2010

(but I'm using WF Pro for a week now) you'll have to create a project per language pair. How complicated (comparing to WF Classic). If this is so, I will have the same problem (I have two source languages, in most cases even mixed up in the same TM).

Can someone confirm this?

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 17:21
English to Arabic
Yes Jan 26, 2010

Dear Alice,

Alice Klingener wrote:

Yes. Close WFP. Right-click the TXML file > Open with > NotePad. In the header, you will see: locale="-". This the source language; change it as you like. Also, you will see: targetlocale="-". This the target language; change it as you like. Make sure you enter proper language codes, e.g. "EN-US", "FR-FR", etc.

Note: If you have the source file, you may prefer to open it again in WFP and pre-translate it using the TM to generate a new TXML file with the correct locales.

Alice Klingener wrote:

2. How to change the languages on a project retroactively?

Just create a new project; there is no problem in it.

Alice Klingener wrote:

3. How to change the languages on a TM retroactively?

Close WFP. Right-click the TM file > Open with > NotePad and apply find-replace operations on the language locales as you like.

Note: If all what you need is to reverse the TM language locales, you can do that in Wordfast Classic.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Bennyhi
Bennyhi
Local time: 18:21
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Thanks Apr 29, 2010

Hi Yasmin,
I also Had the same problem,

It Worked like a Charm,

Thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Benny Hillman

Milim

[Edited at 2010-04-29 08:57 GMT]

Cassia Afini
Cassia Afini  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you! Sep 25, 2015

This old post just saved me.

I had some files that were being reject by the agency system, and I needed to change language code and had no idea it was so simple!

Thanks for saving my deadline!

Marguerite Storm
Marguerite Storm  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:21
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
@yasmin Jul 28, 2016

Yasmin, I have the same problem (changing txml language pair from NL to FR-FR to NL-NL to FR-FR and did what you advise, except that since I work in Mac I opened the txml in TextEdit. Found the locale and target locale, changed, and saved.
Now if I want to open the txml in WFP I get 'invalid document format detected". What did I do wrong?

thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing language settings (TXML files, TMs, projects)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »