editing with wordfast
Thread poster: Elisabeth Deliège Vasconcelos
Elisabeth Deliège Vasconcelos
Elisabeth Deliège Vasconcelos  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
English to French
+ ...
Dec 12, 2003

I tried to edit a translated document with WF and I left the tracking changes on. it did not work. Whwn I did the alt+Down to open the next segment , a message appeared saying This document is protected and/or in revision mode (see Tools/protection or tools/track changes) click OK to proceed anyway, cancel to exit session.
How do I do?
Thenks
Elisabeth

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:19
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Dec 13, 2003

...to CAT Tool Tech Support.

dieter haake
dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
edit Dec 13, 2003

ciao,

IMO you don't have to "open the next segment", you only open the document and
work on the segments in the target language. Once you have finished, you close the document. You'll be asked "update TM?"
-> "yes"
et voilà
your text edited

HTH

didi

[Edited at 2003-12-13 06:24]

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 08:19
German to English
+ ...
Got the same message yesterday Dec 13, 2003

I clicked "Ok" and it opened the next segment with no problems. Apparently it was just being temperamental!

Good luck!

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dieter is right Dec 13, 2003

You can only use Track changes if you do not open the segments. So if you really need to track changes: edit the document, make a copy, accept all changes in the copy and Quick clean the copy to update your TM.

Regards,
Gerard

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
extracted from the manual... Dec 13, 2003

"I see lots of blue, or red, text with a line through in the middle
Turn off the revision ("Track changes") mode. Remove the protection, if there is one (Tools/Remove protection) before translation. Normally, documents in revision or "Track changes" mode should not be translated."

In the case of revision of documents already translated (uncleaned), Gerard's explanation is perfect.
If you need to return to the client a document with the "track changes" active, you just re
... See more
Turn off the revision ("Track changes") mode. Remove the protection, if there is one (Tools/Remove protection) before translation. Normally, documents in revision or "Track changes" mode should not be translated."

In the case of revision of documents already translated (uncleaned), Gerard's explanation is perfect.
If you need to return to the client a document with the "track changes" active, you just revise only the target segments without opening them (keep source and target visible at all times).
It's a good idea to update to the last version of WF (it's updating very frequently) and download the last manual version too, as this will save you a lot of time clearing doubts.

Best regards,
Grace.
Collapse

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your help! Dec 13, 2003

dieter haake wrote:

ciao,

IMO you don't have to "open the next segment", you only open the document and
work on the segments in the target language. Once you have finished, you close the document. You'll be asked "update TM?"
-> "yes"
et voilà
your text edited

HTH

didi

[Edited at 2003-12-13 06:24]

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Hilary for your help! Dec 13, 2003

Hilary Davies wrote:

I clicked "Ok" and it opened the next segment with no problems. Apparently it was just being temperamental!

Good luck!

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your help! Dec 13, 2003

Gerard de Noord wrote:

You can only use Track changes if you do not open the segments. So if you really need to track changes: edit the document, make a copy, accept all changes in the copy and Quick clean the copy to update your TM.

Regards,
Gerard

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Graciela for your help! Dec 13, 2003

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

If you need to return to the client a document with the "track changes" active, you just revise only the target segments without opening them (keep source and target visible at all times).
It's a good idea to update to the last version of WF (it's updating very frequently) and download the last manual version too, as this will save you a lot of time clearing doubts.

Best regards,
Grace.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

editing with wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »