Thread poster: Terese Whitty

Terese Whitty
United States
Local time: 20:52
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Feb 13, 2004

Hi!
I am new to Wordfast. Now I received a large project in PDF-format. I understand that it is possible to import the PDF-file to Wordfast, but when I do it I just get different symbols instead of words. Anyone know how to do this? Grateful for tips.

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:52
German to Polish
+ ...
It is not possible Feb 13, 2004

Please search this forum for dozens of earlier postings on converting .pdf files to Word files.
Best regards
Andrzej

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
If it's text, enable KeepPDFFonts Feb 13, 2004

Hi Terese,

There's really nothing to it once you know how it's done.

Open the PDF file and try if you can select the text. If you can't the PDF is protected or consists of pictures only. In that case Wordfast is of no use. If you can select the text, Wordfast can save you a lot of time.

With the PDF still open, open Word, enable KeepPDFFonts in Pandora's Box and Start a Wordfast session in an empty Word document. Wordfast will warn you it's found a PDF document and asks you if you want to import it.

If Wordfast only imports the first page. Ctrl+A and delete the results, switch to your Reader and make sure Page Layout is Continuous. Start a new Wordfast session. Keep trying until it works, it always does.

Consider enabling OptimisticPDF in Pandora's Box too. Sometimes the results are better, often not.

Good luck,
Gerard

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast saves time, it doesn't perform miracles Feb 13, 2004

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

Please search this forum for dozens of earlier postings on converting .pdf files to Word files.
Best regards
Andrzej

Hi Andrzej,

Wordfast doesn't actually convert the PDF, it extracts the text in an intelligent way, superior to exporting as txt or copy-paste.

The page formatting will be lost and results may vary, PDFs remain our enemies...

My (forewarned) clients are happy with the results. I bought Scansoft's PDF Converter but the results are unusable for professionals who have to lay-out the text again after translation and using CAT in those files is troublesome.

Just try Wordfast to see if you like the results, you don't need a license to extract PDFs.

Regards,
Gerard

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
there is a tool for it Feb 14, 2004

Terese Whitty wrote:

Hi!
I am new to Wordfast. Now I received a large project in PDF-format. I understand that it is possible to import the PDF-file to Wordfast, but when I do it I just get different symbols instead of words. Anyone know how to do this? Grateful for tips.

Hi! first of all find out whether your .pdf document comes with all the Fonts embedded, as this is a regular way of generating stable .pdf docs. Then get hold of a tools called pdf2txt. Then you have a copy of the original leaving out all line breaks and formatting symbols etc., as this would be the raw doc to be processed. Then translate. It is easier for you. Unless you have explicit instruction from the outsourcer to hold the format as supplied by the outsourcer. If yes, you may have as get hold of the .pdf format information to remount the .doc or .txt and generate as translated .pdf and ship
hope that helps
brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast and PDF-files

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs