Download dictionary from Internet to Wordfast?
Thread poster: Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 04:16
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Feb 21, 2004

Hi!
Novice as I am with Wordfast, I am now wondering how I can download and choose a dictionary from a website for my Wordfast setting? Is that possible. I did look in the manual but did not figure it out. Thanks again for your support!

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:16
Czech to German
+ ...
Try Yahoo-group Feb 21, 2004

Hi,

unfortunately I don't know either how (and if at all) to do that but you might also ask at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

It seems that this question has not yet been discussed there (I did a search for "dictionary" but it returned no results) so maybe you will set the ball rolling!

HTH!

Charlotte

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 12:16
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Try this Feb 22, 2004

Terese Whitty wrote:

Hi!
Novice as I am with Wordfast, I am now wondering how I can download and choose a dictionary from a website for my Wordfast setting? Is that possible. I did look in the manual but did not figure it out. Thanks again for your support!

You have to choose a website that provide the dictionary, and figure out what happens before you get your result:

1. Internet Explorer (or your browser) starts
2. The address: www.dict.fsdaaf.com/xyz is typed in
3. you type in your searchword
4. you press a search button.

This information need to be put into Wordfast, and you have to tell Wordfast where to find your "iexplore.exe", usually in C:\programfiles\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

The rest is typed into Wordfast under: setup-files-keys:

Internet Explor;^o{pause}http://lexikon.nada.kth.se/cgi-bin/sve-eng{Pause}{?}{SearchWord}{Enter}

As you see: For this dictionnary I need Wordfast to start Internet Explorer, take a pause, look opp the stated URL, type a questionmark, the searchword and type enter.

Some times you do not need the question mark, but you have to carefully watch what the URL of a typical search looks like. If this is hidden you experience difficulties making the whole thing work.

When I am working in Wordfast and mark a word, I press ctrl+alt+D (or ctrl+alt+F if I have set up another dictionnary).

If you have an dictionary installed on your hard drive, it is much easier: Just find your exe-file, mark this under Program, and instruct Wordfast to something like this under "keys": Yourdict;{SearchWord}(and mabye {Enter} after that, depending on the keys you need to press.

Hope this helps, and that you will get more help at the Wordfast group.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:46
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Is it possible to make your own dictionary? Mar 30, 2005

Hi Ivan,

I am asking this because I haven't been able to find an electroninc English-Hindi dictionary and was wondering if one could create a custom dictionary.

Regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Download dictionary from Internet to Wordfast?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »