https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/206033-how_to_convert_trados_tm_to_wordfast_format.html?

How to convert Trados TM to Wordfast format
Thread poster: Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2011

I urgently need to convert a TRADOS 7.0 TM into a workable WORDFAST Classic format TM. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Best regards,

Nigel,

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:06
English to French
+ ...
Read the manual Aug 23, 2011

WfC can read NON-txt TMs from Trados. IOW, if the TM is in TMX format, you just need to select it from Wf (simply use "All files" to see it in the folder). WfC manual provides some further details.

For TMs in *.txt format, I have used Olifant to convert them into Wf TMs. Since Olifant is no longer supported, you may need to do some Google digging to download it. Once installed, its use is rather straightforward.

L9trad (X)
L9trad (X)
Italy
English to Italian
Export from Translator's Workbench Aug 23, 2011

Open your TM with Translator’s Workbench, click File – Export.
Click Ok and you will see a new window asking you to choose the name of the new TM and the string “Save As”: you have to choose TMX 1.1 (*.tmx). Then, open Wordfast and select the new TM you have just created.

I hope it works.

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
"TRADOS2TMX.exe" Aug 24, 2011

Nigel, in case Trados TM is in TXT format, then this tool is the best. It trasforms a Trados txt TM into a TMX format, I guess in UTF-16 or UTF-8, but, however, it is more then useful, a best solution.

Btw, Olifant tool is present in Okapi kit of tools. There's a Okapi mailist on Yahoo groups. With Olifant you can transform TMX from the above tool, into a WfC txt TM. But, I guess WfC might accept the above TMX as it it.

Dk

Nigel Greenwood wrote:

I urgently need to convert a TRADOS 7.0 TM into a workable WORDFAST Classic format TM. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Best regards,

Nigel,

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Olifant is easy Aug 25, 2011

I've found Oliphant does the job well, is freeware and is easy to use.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:06
Finnish to French
See the knowledge base article Aug 26, 2011

Nigel Greenwood wrote:

See http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=166-32

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:06
Finnish to French
The current version of Olifant (3.0.8) no longer supports the Trados TM format Aug 26, 2011

John Cutler wrote:
I've found Oliphant does the job well, is freeware and is easy to use.

First of all, it's Olifant, not Oliphant. Second, the current version (3.0.8, available here at http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html) does not support the Trados TXT format. Better use APSIC Xbench, as explained in the KB article. Or even better, request a TM exported in the TMX format, as suggested by other posters.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert Trados TM to Wordfast format

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »