Thread poster: Anjo Sterringa

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:22
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 29, 2004

It must be very simple, but I do not know how to do it - to proofread a translated document I can get just the translation on the screen by toggling CONTR-comma, BUT how can I print my translated (uncleaned) file just showing the translation?

One of my clients wants the uncleaned files back, and I would also like to check a translation before it is cleaned, so it creates a better TM.

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Make a copy and quick-clean Apr 29, 2004

Make a copy of the file (abc_copy.doc), use the quick clean funtion (it doesn't affect the TM) and then print.
Regards
Andrzej

alexia  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
"hidden text" Apr 29, 2004

In tools > Options > Print, remove the check in front of "hidden text".
Then you can print your uncleaned document without showing the original text.
Regards

dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
in the same way Apr 29, 2004

if you have version 4.xx

it's printing only the translation.

didi

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Include with document options Apr 29, 2004

Hi Anjo,

In Word click on File/Print...
CLick on Options...
Uncheck Hidden text on the Print tab.

Regards,
Gerard

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:22
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
The easy way Apr 29, 2004

I always clean up my file and save the result unter another filename, so the uncleanded file stays unchanged (you have also the .bak-file, which is the uncleaned file at the moment of clean up). So you print the cleandup file and send the other file to you client.
I never check on uncleaned files, many mistakes are detected only when one sees the source file after clean up.

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Several methods Apr 29, 2004

If you need to deliver the uncleaned files you should make a copy and "test clean" the files before delivery to make sure that the files doesn't contain any error.

When revising the document it is possible to do this by open the segments one by one. If you have "NeedforSpeed" enabled the term rec is turned off, and Wordfast will be faster.

You should also have "Write better match" enabled to make sure your TM gets updated during this process.

For errors that occur many places I recommend editing the TM directly during the translation using Search/Replace in the textfile. When you open the segments these pairs will occur with less than 100% match for easy spotting.

One last method is to use the ctrl + comma to hide the hidden text, revise and when you spot a mistake mark the spot, and press ALT+down. This will open the TU in question. Then you need to press ctrl + comma again and repeat the process.

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 29, 2004

Thank you for all the info.
I just had not thought about a hidden text option in printing - I will try that!

Also the tips on saving the file with another name and reminding me of the bak file were good points!

And ... I will be back! I am still struggling, although I am finding short cuts with corrupted segments and so on. But that is another story...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast printing uncleaned file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs