Find/Replace with Wordfast (only target)?
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:54
Czech to German
+ ...
May 6, 2004

Hi all,

I'm just thinking about replacing some expressions in my translation but not in the source-text. As there are words which are the same in source and target I'd like to replace only the target - if this is possible without first cleaning the files (which I would not like to do). Unfortunately I cannot find anything about this neither in Wordfast nor in Plustools. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Charlotte

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
S&R with format May 6, 2004

Charlotte Blank wrote:

Hi all,

I'm just thinking about replacing some expressions in my translation but not in the source-text. As there are words which are the same in source and target I'd like to replace only the target - if this is possible without first cleaning the files (which I would not like to do). Unfortunately I cannot find anything about this neither in Wordfast nor in Plustools. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Charlotte

Hi Charlotte,
When you enter the expression to be searched for click on format - font and you'll see the greyed ticked boxes. Click on the "hidden" checkbox until it is NOT checked. Accept and close.
This will look for the visible text only (which is your target text).
Then enter the text that will replace the searched expression and start replacing.

HTH,
Grace.

[Edited at 2004-05-06 13:54]

LAC
LAC
France
French to English
+ ...
Easy! I do that often... May 6, 2004

You're source text (that you do not want to change) has been given the "hidden" property... and your target text is not.

Expand the search/replace options and make sure that, in addition to the text to be found, your search includes the font properties for the search part say "not hidden" (the tick box next to hidden should be empty--not gray or checked).

No need to specify any properties for the replace text...

Am I being clear enough?
HTH

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! May 6, 2004

Hi Graciela,

this is really great! Thanks a lot, it is working marvellously:):):)

Charlotte

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Ctrl+Comma May 6, 2004

You could also hide the hidden text by pushing Ctrl+, once or twice, replace any text you want and show hidden text again by pushing Ctrl+, once more. Text you can't see will be left alone.

Regards,
Gerard

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I use Gerard's method May 6, 2004

I hit that "paragraph" symbol to hide the source and then do search/replace. Works great. You can even do "replace all" that way without affecting the source.

Trier1 (X)
Trier1 (X)
Ctrl+coma Apr 1, 2010

I hope its ok to resurrect this old thread…

I also like the sound of Gerard's method (regarding the Ctrl+Comma command), but my manual says:

Ctrl+Comma: shortcut to toggle between a display of source and target text. Note: You must return to a source/target display of all text & delimiters, when you are actually editing text.

Doesn’t this contradict Gerard's method?

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Manual Apr 1, 2010

I think that statement in the manual is more of a word of caution ... when source & delimiters are hidden, it's really easy to accidentally delete something important and screw up the segments, so yes - in general it is advisable to edit with segments visible. Find & replace operations shouldn't have any effect on delimiters, so I think there is no contradiction with what Gerard says.

Trier1 (X)
Trier1 (X)
Thanks (Ctrl+comma) Apr 1, 2010

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Most helpful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find/Replace with Wordfast (only target)?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »