Thread poster: Paola Turakiewich Fantina
Paola Turakiewich Fantina
Paola Turakiewich Fantina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 29, 2011

Has anyone of you know whether it's possible to combine two translation memories in Wordfast? I would like to make one out of two, and specify that only the most updated translation remains in the TM.

That is to say if I have "My house is white" translated in one TM as "Mi casa es blanca" and the same segment is translated in the other TM as "Es blanca mi casa", I want JUST ONE translation segment t remain and I need to keep the most recent.

Does anyone of you know how
... See more
Has anyone of you know whether it's possible to combine two translation memories in Wordfast? I would like to make one out of two, and specify that only the most updated translation remains in the TM.

That is to say if I have "My house is white" translated in one TM as "Mi casa es blanca" and the same segment is translated in the other TM as "Es blanca mi casa", I want JUST ONE translation segment t remain and I need to keep the most recent.

Does anyone of you know how to do this?

thank you!
Collapse

Paulo Eduardo -  Pro Knowledge
Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Olifant to open and join, excel to select and close. Oct 29, 2011

Use olifant to import both to a new one and select and/or exclude the ones you want.
or
Use olifant to import both to a new one then use excel to remove duplicates, or languages or dates you don´t (Data etc.).

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:01
French to English
+ ...
Use Wordfast Classic Oct 30, 2011

You can do this using a special filter in Wordfast Classic (if you have it) TM Manager and can then flag duplicates (either source or target) and chose which to delete.

Paola Turakiewich Fantina
Paola Turakiewich Fantina  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi you two! Oct 30, 2011

I didn't know anything about "Olifant" but I will try. I have Wordfast Pro, so I don't think I can do it as you recommend Finch.

I was thinking about importing both TM with Workbench, and then exporting everything as one .txt. Maybe that works. What do you think?

inge van dri (X)
inge van dri (X)
Local time: 00:01
German to Dutch
+ ...
No special tools needed Oct 30, 2011

Wordfast TMs are in .txt format, so just open them both (with Word, Excel, and so on) and copy the contents of the second file below the contents of the first file, then save in .txt, and reorganize.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 03:31
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Thanks for suggesting an easy method Nov 2, 2011

Hi Van,

The procedure suggested by you is simple and time saving.

Could you please inform me how to organize the assembled file? Where can I find the button for this feature? I searched for it but in vain.

Regards,

Chopra

van driel wrote:

Wordfast TMs are in .txt format, so just open them both (with Word, Excel, and so on) and copy the contents of the second file below the contents of the first file, then save in .txt, and reorganize.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Combining two translation memories in Wordfast Pro

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »